123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulty of connecting to cable modem thru Ethernet hub?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Difficulty of connecting to cable modem thru Ethernet hub? Reply with quote

At the moment, my cable modem connects directly to my Mini using an Ethernet cable.

If I wanted to share my cable modem between the Mini and my MacBook using a 5-port Ethernet hub I've got in the attic, how much trouble would it be to modify OS X's settings for this?

Also, how would I correctly assign Ethernet addresses to everything that's connected to the hub (modem, Mini, MB)??? Confused

(If these questions are really basic, please forgive me. It's been a LONG while since I set up a simple network -- and even then, I was bloody hopeless Rolling Eyes )
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubs are bad for sharing a connection, switches are the way to go. That being said, your internet provider might hit your bill up for having 2 units hooked up to the one connection. If you get a router, than the company will only see the one device on their end, but you will be able to share the connection to all your devices.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought it would work using a hub and if it did it (very doubtful) it wouldn't be very secure.

Normally you would connect a router between your local network and the cable modem. The router would also act as a DHCP server and issue IP addresses to the local network and the router would get the IP address of your internet connection.

Routers are really cheap nowadays so probably better to replace the hub with a router.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing you could do is leave the mini plugged into the modem directly and then share out the internet connection through the mini's airport. Just create a local network and share out through it.

Cypher wrote:
I wouldn't have thought it would work using a hub and if it did it (very doubtful) it wouldn't be very secure.

Normally you would connect a router between your local network and the cable modem. The router would also act as a DHCP server and issue IP addresses to the local network and the router would get the IP address of your internet connection.

Routers are really cheap nowadays so probably better to replace the hub with a router.

Great minds think alike... Razz
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. When you say 'router', do you mean the wireless routers with the rubber aerial on the back?

usarcher wrote:
One other thing you could do is leave the mini plugged into the modem directly and then share out the internet connection through the mini's airport. Just create a local network and share out through it.

Yeah, I've done that before to update Leopard on the MacBook, but it seems that whenever I try to switch the five-character password feature on (to get some security), the AirPort link refuses to work properly and the MB won't connect to the net. It only works when I turn the password feature 'off', which leaves me feeling a bit vulnerable... Confused
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get wired or wireless routers. Since you will be using a MacBook, you should probably look into a wireless one. Get one with extra ports on the back and you can keep the mini wired.

Could you connect the MB to the mini wirelessly with the password and just not get on the net, or was there no connection at all?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
You can get wired or wireless routers. Since you will be using a MacBook, you should probably look into a wireless one. Get one with extra ports on the back and you can keep the mini wired.

I like the sound of that! Smile

usarcher wrote:
Could you connect the MB to the mini wirelessly with the password and just not get on the net, or was there no connection at all?

That's a good question. I'll re-create the wireless network and get back to you with an answer...
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... at this very moment, I'm sitting in the lounge surfing 123MM on my MacBook which is connected to my Mini's broadband connection via Airport.

It took me so long to get the two of them talking to each other that I haven't dared try to impose password security on the wi-fi link. I think that will be the next thing to try... Confused
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have anyone close by that could pick up your signal? If not you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can quite easily pick up at least 3 neighbours' wi-fi networks from inside my house... so I imagine that they can do the same to mine.

I've got Virgin cable broadband, so I've been investigating "DSL routers". This seems to be a good one: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/48546
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Cable, then you don't need a DSL router.

DSL routers usually have an ADSL modem built in. I have a Belkin Cable router which is just a wireless router with a built in switch. ie no modem you plug you NTL / virgin cable modem into it via an ethernet cable

If I was in your position I would probably consider a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme.

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked out your link Johnny, I should have done that first LOL

It’s a Cable/DSL router and it does needs a separate modem so should be fine for what you want.

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Okay... at this very moment, I'm sitting in the lounge surfing 123MM on my MacBook which is connected to my Mini's broadband connection via Airport.

It took me so long to get the two of them talking to each other that I haven't dared try to impose password security on the wi-fi link. I think that will be the next thing to try... Confused

That's strange. I share my internet connection from my Macbook all the time with nearly no effort. I just turn on Airport, then turn on Internet sharing and viola! I've had 4 devices connected to it and it worked great.

One thing I've noticed with networking, sometimes it takes time for things to "get along" together. One example, in my new home I installed a rather elaborate wired/wireless network, for the first couple of weeks I was constantly restarting/rebooting/resetting the modem, router and switches, because it seemed slower than it should. Then all of the sudden one day it was lightening fast. I can't explain it and quite frankly I don't want to know why, I just know to be more patient the next time around....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
That's strange. I share my internet connection from my Macbook all the time with nearly no effort. I just turn on Airport, then turn on Internet sharing and viola! I've had 4 devices connected to it and it worked great.

Part of the problem stems from the fact that I'm an complete dumpling when it comes to setting up networks. I'm sure that I was reasonably competent once upon a time, but now I'm just a dick.

Example: I spent 20 minutes trying to get my MacBook to talk to my Mini before I noticed that the MB had joined a network called "Mac Mini network" and the Mini had joined a network called "Johns network". And I'm sat there wondering why they aren't talking to each other.... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, just thought I'd post a couple of shots to show the DSL modem that Virgin gave me. From other's posts, it seems that I can't replace this unit -- it looks as though I have to add a wireless box to it.

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the same modem as I have Johnny. It’s a cable modem not a DSL modem.

The blue ethernet cable plugged in the back will currently go to you mini's ethernet port. The new router will likely have 5 ethernet ports on the back, the 4 close together will be the 4 port switch and the other one on its own will be the outgoing network connection WAN (ie the internet)

You plug the mini into the 4 port switch on the router, any one of the 4 ports will do, then connect an ethernet cable between your cable modem and the internet WAN port on the router.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: