123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Similar sites for iBook owners?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeyjon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Similar sites for iBook owners? Reply with quote

Finally took the plunge to switch at the weekend, but in the end took the decision to go for a 14" iBook.

Love this site, but wondered if as an iBook owner, there was a similar site to this for portable owners?

If not are iBook owners still welcome here?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Similar sites for iBook owners? Reply with quote

pompeyjon wrote:
Finally took the plunge to switch at the weekend, but in the end took the decision to go for a 14" iBook.

Love this site, but wondered if as an iBook owner, there was a similar site to this for portable owners?

If not are iBook owners still welcome here?

Sure you are welcome!! There many relevant forums here for you, including OS, software, gaming, and even forums specifically for Mac portables... Smile

Perhaps you'd like to post your impressions of your iBook in the portables forum? I am in the market for a new laptop and am on the fence between the iBook and PowerBooks and could use any info that I can get!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second those sentiments! Very Happy
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, here! The motion to keep him coming back is radified!!!! Razz

The more the merrier! I think my next Mac will be an ibook and I would like to hear any input that you might have on your experience.

I did find one ibook forum site but it is no where near the caliber of 123macmini. but you can look for yourself. http://p217.ezboard.com/ftheibookuserboardtheibookforum
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pompeyjon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks very much for the warm welcome people.

OK, initial thoughts on my iBook...

Setup - piece of cake. Online with my existing wireless network within 5 minutes (and that's probably an over-estimate). Shocked

Software/OSX updates - no-brainer. Click to select - reboot - done.

Applications - have to admit to not liking Safari too much, so downloaded Firefox/Thunderbird for browsing/mail. iLife - imported some photos in iPhoto, pulled 5000 songs off my 30Gb iPod photo using Senuti. Haven't had reason to use iChat yet - might get an iSight at some point down the line. GarageBand seems an interesting program - might have a play with that at some point down the line...

Machine seems zippy enough - I read that my model of iBook can be upgraded to 1.5Gb of RAM - the 512Mb I have seems fine at the moment. I regularly have Firefox, Skype, iTunes open at the same time.

Switching from Wintel to Mac - still adjusting (ctrl key to apple key etc.). Am running a Micro$oft 3-button mouse (admittedly with M$ Intellipoint software for Mac OSX!) - can't get used to Apple mice...!

Battery life - seems to be 5-6 hours on a full charge, less if watching DVDs/listening to CDs.

Speech - very cool to open/close/switch between programs with voice-activated commands - been having a lot of fun with this over the past couple of days...

Weak points:

1). speakers - very tinny, almost painful to listen to - I have to use headphones.

2). Apple keyboards - where's the "delete" key? This is really doing my head in...it's only now I realise that I use the delete key almost as much, if not more than the "backspace" key...

Couple of questions:

1). Can I connect my iBook to an external display/keyboard/mouse and still function with the iBook lid closed?

2). Can anyone suggest any sites to get older Mac games (preferably in the UK?)

Signing off for now...

Jon
mkral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for ibook tips & community, I like forums.macnn.com & powerbookcentral.com

As far as your question, running the ibook closed with an external monitor is highly NOT recommended. I guess that a significant part of the cooling from the ibook comes through the keyboard. Keeping it closed while it's running bakes the inners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: