123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD Intros New My Passport Studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: WD Intros New My Passport Studio Reply with quote

WD Intros New My Passport Studio
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

WD today announced the release of its new My Passport Studio portable drives with a FireWire 800/400 and USB interface. The new My Passport Studio drives offer up to 500 GB of storage capacity. They also feature an illuminated capacity gauge that lets users see how much space is available on the drive, and come pre-formatted HFS+ for use with Mac computers out of the box.

"Photographers and videographers, be they creative pros or Mac computer enthusiasts, have a genuine need for large amounts of fast, portable storage for their high-definition files," said Jim Welsh, senior vice president and general manager of WD's Branded Products and Consumer Electronics Groups. "With a new FireWire 800 interface, My Passport Studio speeds up editing and transferring of big media files making it perfect for performance-minded Mac computer users on the go."

Prices for the new My Passport Studio drives start at $200.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1067.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they could've done better with pricing, but it looks like these are bus-powered for FW now. You don't need that screwy FW/USB Y-cable for power anymore. That's definitely an improvement over the old model. I might just pick one of these up now.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind having one myself. I need some time to recover from other purchases though.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it is good to see both flavors of Firewire, but what is the disk speed? Maybe I missed it, but I did not see any RPM spec or read/write spec on the drive itself, just the interface.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
OK, it is good to see both flavors of Firewire, but what is the disk speed? Maybe I missed it, but I did not see any RPM spec or read/write spec on the drive itself, just the interface.

I would assume 5400rpm. I don't think there is a 2.5" 400GB or 500GB 7200rpm drive out on the market. Plus, 7200rpm drives usually have funky power requirements over USB. I'm a little curious about the "turbo" mode. I wonder what that's all about?
Grover Time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Best Buy gets the 500GB model in soon and discounts it heavily within a few weeks. That seems to be the trend with the other WD Passport drives they carry.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to dislike the idea of external 2.5" drives (too expensive, capacity too low) but now that my external dual 3.5" 1TB WD drive has annoyed me with its noise for more than a year, I'm beginning to change my opinion. Then again perhaps it's their only drive which is so noisy?
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Then again perhaps it's their only drive which is so noisy?

My older MyBook drives are a little noisy, but the newer models are much improved. I have one of the Home Edition MyBooks with eSATA and it's pretty darn quiet. I also have a 250GB Passport that I use with my MacBook Pro. Unless I stick it up to my ear, I can't even hear the thing running. It's like super duper quiet. But I guess that's to be expected with the 2.5" drive.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:
Then again perhaps it's their only drive which is so noisy?

My older MyBook drives are a little noisy, but the newer models are much improved. I have one of the Home Edition MyBooks with eSATA and it's pretty darn quiet. I also have a 250GB Passport that I use with my MacBook Pro. Unless I stick it up to my ear, I can't even hear the thing running. It's like super duper quiet. But I guess that's to be expected with the 2.5" drive.

The 1TB drive I have has a fan in it. When it starts, it sounds like a small jet and makes as much noise as about four Mac mini would do with their fans turned on.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: