123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aaargh! Thar She Blows!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opensky42 wrote:
Its amazing what you can build for under a grand! I am interested in checking out THIS, as it claims to enable one to install OS X right off your retail dvd.

OpenSky, check out this vid - it's very interesting... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9FQlmYWczVI
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw that one, and pretty much the rest of the EFI-X videos on YouTube. I've also been reading the EFI-X forum to get an idea of its capabilities. There is a big update with the EFI-X firmware that was supposed to be out in October, but they are running a little behind. It sounds like as long as you stick to the Hardware Compatibility List that they post, you can get your system running pretty much like a stock Mac. You can also update through the Apple updater without having to manually add a bunch of Kexts or firmware. I'm under the impression that the EFI-X device somehow installs all that for you. I have been lurking around on InsanelyMac, and have determined that, while you may be able to get a pretty decent system going without the EFI-X device, the time you will spend setting up, troubleshooting, and maintaining your hackintosh will be great. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have all the time in the world, so if I can spend $180 on the EFI-X device and save 100 hours, I think its worth every penny.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$180? Shocked Wow! As you say, that's probably pretty good value for money. I wonder what it costs in UKĀ£ or Euros... Confused
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of my newly decked out Hackbook Nano:

I had these "stickers" made at a sign shop out of vinyl. It looks like it came stock, not like a regular sticker at all. The vinyl is made for outdoor signs, so its pretty bomb-proof.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've seen that logo somewhere .... Very Happy
nickh2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, opensky, im thinking since you got osx on the wind laptop, it would be pretty much the same to get it on the desktop version?, because the wind desktop is pretty cheap and would make a nice hackintosh in my opinion
Iphone 8gb
Red Ipod nano 4th gen 4gb
CHECK IT OUT
great file hosting/sharing site www.host-a.net
Ipod Master
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenSky, did you use an on-line tutorial to guide you when installing OS X on the Wind? If so, which one?

One more question: Where did you get the "Apple logo in the middle of a starfield" wallpaper?
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
OpenSky, did you use an on-line tutorial to guide you when installing OS X on the Wind? If so, which one?

It could be much simpler depending on what you want to do, but I opted for the triple boot. THIS is the basis of what I did. Search around the MSIWind forums for more info, especially the OS X section of the forum. Since that wiki was written, there is now a workaround for the headphones, and there are some newer "N" wifi cards that work. I used a Dell 1505, but there is also a newer half height 1510 card that is reported to work. The benefit of this one would be not needing to remove a "stand off" post from the mobo that is in the way and can damage the wifi card. I myself removed the stand-off, and it was not difficult.

Are you interested in the Wind specifically, or laptops in general? The process I used is tailored for the wind, but I read that the same method was used to install on a few other laptops with success. If this isn't what you need, I would scour insanelymac for info on the boot132 method.

JohnnyBoy wrote:

One more question: Where did you get the "Apple logo in the middle of a starfield" wallpaper?

There are a lot of great Apple desktop images HERE. 90 to be exact.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come back from the Saturday morning shopping ordeal, and while I was in Tesco, I spotted an Acer Aspire A110 on display. I couldn't resist going over and having a play with it.... Cool

I have to say - I love it! The display is a little small, but it's bright and very clear. The keyboard is big enough to actually touch-type on. But best of all, I picked it up to see how heavy it was and it was a featherweight compared to my MacBook.

I know the debate rages on over whether Apple will design and manufacture a netbook. But that debate would disappear if one of the big manufacturers produced a netbook whose specification just happened to include hardware that worked with the Kalyway Leopard DVD out-of-the-box... Wink
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that MSI Wind is about as close as you'll get, JohnnyBoy, unless of course Psystar beats Apple in court. The Wind is more expensive than the Acer, but 1.1" of screen real estate makes a big difference at that size. And the weight of the two isn't very different.

I've been reading these Hackintosh posts with interest and I'm certain that I could put Leopard on my Wind. But I have to say that for what I use it for, Linux is just as good, and it aint Windows.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opensky, could I just install OS X then use VMWare to run the other OS's?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Opensky, could I just install OS X then use VMWare to run the other OS's?

Seems that you can, Hackers. I haven't tried it, but I found a couple of references to people doing it, and also these YouTube Videos:

This

That
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I think that MSI Wind is about as close as you'll get, JohnnyBoy, unless of course Psystar beats Apple in court. The Wind is more expensive than the Acer, but 1.1" of screen real estate makes a big difference at that size. And the weight of the two isn't very different.

Well in that case, I really must hunt down an MSI Wind and see this little computer for myself. Smile
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason to choose the Wind over the Acer Aspire One is the ease of upgrading. The acers are about as easy to change the RAM in as it was to change a hard drive in an iBook.

Upgrading the wind was a "breeze" compared to this: Acer RAM Upgrade

Plus the base model Acer only comes with 512mb, making it possible to only get 1.5Gb.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opensky42, full knowing I'm an idiot, can you PM me the link to the kalaway iso? I've search pretty good, found the wiki's, forums, even kalaway's donation page! I can't seem to be able to find the download link though.

Thanks in advance....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: