123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aaargh! Thar She Blows!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Aaargh! Thar She Blows! Reply with quote

Me Black MSI Wind, that is.

I've been messing around with my new MSI Wind every spare moment since I got it on Tuesday. It now triple boots Xp/ Ubuntu/ OS X

Here's the screen shot from the one you really want to see:

Everything works in OSX except the wifi (I have a replacement wifi card coming that will work) and the headphone jack (works great through the usb dongle that came with my Logitech headset, which also has a mic input)

Arrrgh! Me loves me MacBook Nano!
bfuerst1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what modded osx is that? does it work well and was it easy to install
apple bluetooth wireless mouse
apple aluminum keyboard
22 inch Samsung Display
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that we want to encourage hacked versions of OS X; but nevertheless, I tip my hat to you Sky..

You have joined an elite band of brothers..in the process.

Ie...those who are comfortable with multi~booting 3 operating systems..on the one machine..

But can we tempt you to add Vista, plus OpenSolaris using Reiserfs along with some flavour of Unix such as FreeBSD..?

Cheers

Aqua

PS:

You probably already know this, but if you start with Vista, you can use EasyBCD to slot as many other systems onto your Wind.. The only limit being the physical size of the drive.

>>>> http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 <<<<

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive, opensky. What wireless card did you order?
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. Thanks for your comments. It was really fun learning how to make this happen. It was all thanks to another great forum, not unlike this one.

The build: MSIWindOSX86, tailored specifically for the Wind.

Performance: So far, works great.

Time: Definitely spent more time reading than doing. If your prepared, it could easily be done in an afternoon. Having an external DVD drive is a big time saver. I first started trying to do it all with a thumb drive, but broke down and "borrowed" a dvd drive from the BestBuy loan program. Alot of the time was spent because I was setting up a triple boot.

The Wifi card: I ordered a Dell 1505 Draft N card. Picked it up new on eBay for $47.

The Pirate Flag "About this Mac" was something I added, not included in the build. Turns out its really easy to do on any Mac.

Ive gone from Arrgh! to Ugggh... I have to get up at 4:30am for clinicals...

I'll have some more details later this weekend.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody good mate.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats opensky! I love the HackBook name and pirate flag. Cool

Even the people at Apple should appreicate that one....

Aquafire wrote:
You probably already know this, but if you start with Vista, you can use EasyBCD to slot as many other systems onto your Wind.. The only limit being the physical size of the drive.

I think we should get paid for mentioning EasyBCD. Smile
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got the new WiFi card, and installation was easy. To get it to fit, you have to break off a post that is not used for anything, and is in the way. Sounds more daunting than it actually is. It would also be easy to glue back on if needed for warranty issues. OS X recognized the card right off the bat as an airport card. The funny thing is, I had quite a time getting a driver installed in XP, but I finally got it working this morning.

I popped in a 512Mb ddr sodimm that I had laying around...it will take a 1Gb stick, but I havent gotten around to ordering it yet. Seems to be doing pretty good at 1.5Gb.

Anyway, still glad I picked up the Wind instead of getting myself a MBP as originally planned. I sold my 2.16ghz MBP just before the new macbooks were released, and with the money I got from it, I was able to buy a new 2.4ghz MBP for my wife, and the Wind for myself. Quite the trade up!
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the coolest new thing I discovered:

If you jailbreak your iPhone, and install PDAnet, you can create an Ad-Hoc wifi network on your laptop, such as I did on my "MacBook Nano", and port your 3G internet connection from your phone. I did a test in town today, and was getting 2.6 Mb/s download speed, and about 250 kb/s upload.

Sweet! Portable high speed internet on a screen and keyboard that are actually usable!

There are many amazing apps available for a jailbroken iPhone. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner....but that's a post for another forum.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of firmware comes with your Wind. There's a 1.09 version that just came out, and it's supposed to be amenable to overclocking.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with 1.06. I haven't thought about upgrading yet, but may look over the changes and consider it. Firmware upgrades always seem like a lot of trouble and risk for the benefits. I did see some talk of the overclocking tho.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to mention, some guys cracked the problem of the headphone jack last night. You can now install an applescript that will toggle the sound back and forth from the headphones to the speakers. Kinda rigged, but nothing too annoying. That just leaves the mic....

Also, it was just confirmed that the Dell 1510 wifi card wil work in OSX on the Wind with a firmware patch. The 1510 is a half height card, which means you don't have to remove the standoff to install.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I read something about the need for a custom BIOS to install Leopard on the Wind. Maybe that was for the Asus Eee PC 1000H. I kinda forget now
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like a custom Leopard. Cool Then added a few kexts, and it was good to go.

The process I used was basically this: install XP; load up Ubuntu Live and use partition editor to shrink the XP partition and add 3 more partitions; boot the custom OS X DVD, reformat one of the partitions to HFS and install OSX; load up Ubuntu and install it on one of the remaining partitions, then use partition editor to format the last to FAT32 for moving files from one OS to another.

Couldn't be simpler, right? Wink

This experience got me looking at the possibilities, and now I'm planning a home-made quad-core "mac" pro. With a legitimate license of OS X, of course.

Its amazing what you can build for under a grand! I am interested in checking out THIS, as it claims to enable one to install OS X right off your retail dvd.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked back, it was for the Eee PC 1000H. It sounds like there are issues with ACPI.

http://www.maceee.com/how-to-mac-os-x-1054-for-the-eee-pc-901-1000h-27.html

Yeah, you can build a totally awesome machine for under a grand these days. I may go the Hackintosh route some day if Apple does away with the Mac mini, but I'm kinda set with the minis and MacBook Pro for now. It's probably fun playing around with though. And hey, congrats on setting up the Wind with Leopard. They are awesome little machines as well. I would be grinning from ear to ear if I had one set up with Leopard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: