123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Upgraded to T7400 2.16 Core 2 Duo = FASTTTTTT!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
screature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
smithcraft did the 2.16 works fine. you can add the ram right now it reads about 3.1 out of 4 . or just do 3gb. wait for smithcraft to read this he can fill you in on the 2.16

billb wrote:
Welcome!
I had a 1.66 GHz Core Duo in my mini and it felt ok speed wise.
Then I got a great deal from eBay on a 2.33 GHz C2D processor...If not the 2.16 should be fine.
Just don't get anxious and over pay.

Another thing you might consider is selling your mini
on eBay and put that money along with your processor
money and throw in a little more in order a buy an 09'
mini. Since your mini will be a HTPC the new 09' mini
is something I would seriously consider.

Also, my mini can only use 2 Gig's of RAM. Its a model 1.1
mini. Make sure your mini is 2.1 or greater. It will need to be
in order to use 3.1 Gig's of RAM. If you intend on increasing
your RAM thats another reason to consider a new 09' mini.

Smithcraft wrote:
Yep, the T7400 is great! I didn't think the extra $100 was worth it for the T7600, but it's just for a media center. If like billb, I did real computing with it, then I would have gone with a T7600...

SC

Thanks guys for all the great advice, it is greatly appreciated...

billb, why do you think that for a HT setup the '09 Mini would be that much better than just going the processor upgrade route?

I am also considering upgrading the hard drive to to either a 7200rpm or SSD. I know it is off topic from the thread but does anyone here have experience/specific recommendations i.e. brands/models in this department?

Thanks again guys much appreciated. Very Happy
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will jump in.

The new mini's can use 8gb ram.
The new minis can drive two screens.
The new minis are sold on apple online refurbished at good prices.

this is the link. they sell out in under a half hour.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini

I have purchased the 800 dollar new mini as a refurb for 679. I purchased a stripped 2.26ghz new model for 449

mon -fri is when they get posted. I know it may take a week or to to get one. it is worth it. just paste the link i gave you and click on it mon and tue are the best days 8am to 3pm east cost.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
screature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks philiparcario, I am familiar with the refurbs as my current 1.83 is a refurb, but thanks for the advice and it is amazing how early you have to go to the store to get one and how fast they sell out.

I know the specs of the new Minis, I guess what I was asking is what specifically would make them that much better for a HT setup where the demands I would be putting on it aren't as high as someone who is using it for full fledged computing.

I'm not against getting a new one, but if my current Mini with the upgrades I am thinking of will do the job well for what it's purpose is I guess I would rather go that route because after taxes and so on it should still be less expensive (I think).

But if anyone knows a really compelling reason and that I will see a great advantage for the stated purpose of a HT in going with a new Mini I would certainly consider it.

Last edited by screature on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total
screature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question that isn't really mine but comes from someone else in another Mac Forum that I frequent (ehMac.ca) asking if a T7700 would be compatible to upgrade from a Core Duo.

Anyone here know? Thanks.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer you ssd question. I have owned installed or currently own the following ssd's

1) Intel x18-m with a 2.5 inch adapter purchased from newegg for 203 usd after tax 80gb. The best one I have owned for price and size and speed. stable ssd.

link

newegg ssd kit

2) intel x25-m 80gb installed for a forum member his cost was 350.

Now can be found for under 300. It is the same as above in specs.

3)intel x25-e 32gb the fastest most stable ssd I owned. I sold it in a mini to a buy overseas. I regret giving that machine up . Costly at 267 my ebay price in may, and that would be called a great price.

4) I have an intelx25-e 60gb on the way to my home. I will report on it. Got a very good price 525. It is hard to get this drive for under 650.

5)ocz summit 128gb fast owned 2 one failed sold the other. It is fast, price 300 at superwiiz.com

It may be the mini killed it. The mini had a bad logic/mother board the only mini out of 45 that I had owned or modded to have a bad logic board.

6) corsair extreme series x64 64gb I have 2 one is unopened. One is use in an external enclosure with my older 2.0ghz 950 graphics card machine.

Newegg Corsair ssd

to sum this up very simply;

1) ssd are very fast then get old and need to be maintained.

2) the intel x25-e are super fast and age better then any of the others. they also cost the most. They only come in 32gb and 64gb

3)buy the dane-elec on sale for 190 from newegg

4) buy an intel x25-e 64gb on ebay for under 600

my problem is you could get 3 of the dane - elec (intel x18-m drives of 80gb) vs 1 intel x25-e 64gb

This what I won and this is a great price.

my ebay intel buy

and you can buy a new mini for the same price.

Last edited by philiparcario on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:40 pm; edited 7 times in total
screature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info philiparcario. I have heard great things about the OCZ Vertex series, that they offer great bang for the buck and are almost as fast as the Intels. Do you have any experience/opinion of them?

It sounds like from what you are saying is that the reliability/stability of an SSD isn't quite there yet as compared to a fast HD (is this a correct interpretation?). Is it your feeling that a fast HD represents a better performance to cost ratio?
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Upgrade or pass??? Reply with quote

Where do I begin?
It is becoming a 64 bit, HD world.
In order for your HTPC to do its job well
it makes sense to get the right tool for the job.
If you intend on playing Blueray (BD) and using
Mac The Riper and Handbrake to perform
rip's and burn's and want it done in a timely
manner, get an 09' mac. Can an older mini do it?
Sure.......slower. Look, I can beat my old hoarse
to run like a thoroughbred. But if I could sell her
for what she is worth and throw in $100 or
$200 to get a new hoarse that can run effortlessly,
that just makes sense to me.

I have an iMac 20" G4 with 2GB of ram and waiting for
it to rip or burn is like watching paint dry.
Two years from now watching your older mini rip or
burn BD stuff will be like watching paint dry. You'll
kick yourself for NOT selling your old mini now
while it still has some value and getting a
FASTER tool.

If your not interested in HD and BD and Burning
and Ripping. If you just want to watch a little TV
then keep what you have. Your ok. BUT.
if you want to live in an HD world and do HD stuff
you should get Mac that was designed for an HD world.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That questions needs a long answer. Let me think before I answer it.

screature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade or pass??? Reply with quote

billb wrote:
Where do I begin?...

Thanks billb... I should probably have mentioned more about my complete setup... My Mini is only 1 of three Macs that I own; I also have a Macbook Pro 2.16, which I bought for my wife, and my main work horse is my Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro 2.66GHz. All the "heavy lifting" is done with it. The Mini is only used for playback as a HT setup... I don't do any of the processing with it.

I have a gigabit ethernet NAS that is used as a server for all 3 Macs and when media is processed on my Mac Pro it gets uploaded to the NAS to be made available to all 3 computers.

Effectively the Mini is used only for play back of various media in the living room. The reason I am looking to upgrade is because, well.. I am impatient and I find the boot time to be too slow as well as the startup time for software and how long it takes to do updates to system software and such.

I really should have mentioned all of this earlier. Embarassed

I am actually very experienced with Macs and computing in general, I was just hoping to get some pointers re: the Mini from people who use it extensively, as I do not, as I said I just use it for my HT setup.

So knowing this, do you really think that I will benefit that much by a '09 Mini vs. just upgrading the CPU and hard drive on my existing Mini (1.83GHz Core duo) when all it is used for is playback of media as opposed to processing it as well? Thanks guys, much appreciate the feedback. Smile

P.S. I have no intentions for Blue Ray for the foreseeable future as that would require a TV upgrade as well, I was an early HD adopter and my TV is only capable of 720p (or 1080i) so no point in Blue Ray at this point in time. Wink

P.P.S. I have to ask... Do you live and work at Alcatraz as a guide or something... or do you just have a twisted sense of humour... like me... Laughing

Last edited by screature on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Is an upgrade worth the expense? Reply with quote

Will you benefit from a Processor and RAM upgrade?
If its just an HTPC, and don't intend on playing BD
then it might not be worth it. If BD is in its future then
the approximatly $200 dollars you would spend on
a Proc. upgrade would be better spent on a 09" mini.

My old hoarse trots at an acceptable speed for me
RIGHT NOW. If I needed to race her I would sell
and buy a new one. Especially if I could get a
decent price for her today.

Alcatraz smells like VICTORY IN THE MORNIN".
20" iMac G4 PPC
screature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an upgrade worth the expense? Reply with quote

billb wrote:
Will you benefit from a Processor and RAM upgrade?
If its just an HTPC, and don't intend on playing BD
then it might not be worth it...

Hmm, I see your point, maybe the money (albeit more money) is better spent on a new Mini when one considers future upgrades, like Blue Ray. Definitely something to think about, thanks billb.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

I have to ask, did you really shave that 
logo on the back of your lovely wife head?
20" iMac G4 PPC
screature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re:  Reply with quote

billb wrote:
I have to ask, did you really shave that 
logo on the back of your lovely wife head?

Laughing Laughing No neither my lovely wife's head nor mine... just the wonders of Photoshop. Wink
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
That questions needs a long answer. Let me think before I answer it.

to answer what drive is best ssd or hdd. for your needs this review would be helpful. they basically rate the ocz vetex and intel x25-m a tie for preformance. the vertex is larger 120gb then the intel x25-m. right now the intel x18-m in neweggs dane elec kit is 240 for price.

ssd reviews

the problem with ssd's is only the intel x25-e's have been able to keep high speed without using trim and cleanup programs. the intel x25-e's cost a fortune.

I paid 513 for a new x25-e on ebay. An outstanding price, under 600 is outstanding.
For the same 513 you could buy a cpu for your mini a t7400.
an elgato 250 plus for you mini.
new ram and a 1tb g-force external hdd.
the cpu is 150
the elgato 250 plus is 150
the ram is 60 and
hdd is 140.

so for value I would wait for an ssd. It would tempt me to tell you trade your mini in,but here is a big if I have an 2.0ghz cpu with the 950 graphics card and it works great with my 8 year old hdtv. A 250 pound 32 inch crt. I want to keep the tv due to its tuner. I use free OTA tv only and this tv has the best tuner in my house. So my new mini has a nvida graphic card and it hates the older tv so i am keeping my older mini til the tv dies. My if is the older you have if it plays nice with your older tv keep it. A new mini may not like that tv.
You can buy an elgato 250 plus and use the tv as a dvr and play standard dvds on it. The 1.83ghz mini will play hdtv if you use an elgato 250 plus. the Plus has some chips that boost the cpu power. Or take the load off the cpu. It may be all you need to get the mini to work with your tv as a tuner and a recorder. you may not need to change out the cpu maybe just drop in a 500gb hdd from hitachi the new 7200rpm model. this gives you lots of recording space in the mini. you go for about 260 for the two below

amazon elgato 250plus

{the hitachi hdd is sold out only the ide one is left.}

using these two upgrades may be better for you remember these can move to a new mini down the road.

Last edited by philiparcario on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
screature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
...to answer what drive is best ssd or hdd...

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful and fulsome response philiparcario, it is greatly appreciated... I certainly have a lot to think about re: upgrading my Mini for use as a HT setup...

You and billb have given me much to think about... Luckily this is a want and not a need (my 1.83GHz Mini does what I need it to do, I just want it to do it faster Smile ).

Once again thank you so much for your timely responses and all the time it took to think about my particular situation... you have been very helpful... kudos to both you and billb. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: