123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EEE PC 900A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: EEE PC 900A Reply with quote

Asus has finally gotten to the $300 mark with the EEE PC 900A, it has a 8.9" screen, 1GB RAM, 4GB SSD, 1.6GHz N270 Atom.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/16/eee-pc-turns-one-year-old-slides-under-the-300-barrier-to-cele/

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty clear that netbooks are the wave of the future. I just read an article linked in the Acer Aspire One Users site that Acer is now the number one computer mfr. in markets outside the US and that their AA1 netbook is their best-selling product as well as the No. 1 netbook with Asus coming in 2nd place in the netbook market and the No. 4 mfr. overall.

These little laptops are literally flying off the shelves as fast as they can be made esp. in Europe and Japan.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
These little laptops are literally flying off the shelves as fast as they can be made esp. in Europe and Japan.

They're also doing extremely well here in the US. I was on Amazon the other night ordering a MatteBook Pro and noticed the almost every system on laptop best-seller list was a netbook. I don't see this trend going away either. Apple better jump on at Macworld.....
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my AA1. I do think that one of the main reasons these are flying off the shelves in the US is that they are extremely cheap. Everyone wants a laptop these days...but not everyone can afford one with the economy downturn. Netbooks fit the bill quite nicely.

Although I believe Apple could make a killer netbook, I don't think they could (or want too, really) hit the appropriate price point. What I would really like to see is them focus on getting the mini updated AND getting back to the sub-$500 price point.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw someone using an Acer Aspire One at our library the other day. It's an awesome looking little machine. I can see why they are selling so well.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems from the prices that the 1.1" smaller screen size makes netbooks a lot cheaper. You pay a $100-200 premium for a 10" like my MSI Wind. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have considered anything smaller but I saw the 8.9" Dell at our local Linux meeting and it was very sharp. Mind you, it isn't as cheap as the Acer either.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
It seems from the prices that the 1.1" smaller screen size makes netbooks a lot cheaper. You pay a $100-200 premium for a 10" like my MSI Wind. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have considered anything smaller but I saw the 8.9" Dell at our local Linux meeting and it was very sharp. Mind you, it isn't as cheap as the Acer either.

Actually on Newegg the MSI Wind is priced as low as $350 (USD), same as HDD XP version of the AA1, there is however an issue for those of you up Nort' of us, it's not listed on newegg.ca .
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152074 (MSI Wind Black)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152084 (MSI Wind white)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115499 (AA1)

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same configuration I bought for $CA 550 in the summer, but with a 50% larger HD. My guess is they're discounting the 3 cell model because it gives less than 2 hours running time on batteries. I'm going to get a 6 cell battery replacement soon.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I'm going to get a 6 cell battery replacement soon.

Oh! So, is that just a like-for-like swap, then? Confused
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
That's the same configuration I bought for $CA 550 in the summer, but with a 50% larger HD. My guess is they're discounting the 3 cell model because it gives less than 2 hours running time on batteries. I'm going to get a 6 cell battery replacement soon.

What kind of battery performance do you get out of it. Do you run Ubuntu on it (which is what I would load up on it)? Also, is there any easy way to car charge it?

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 3 cell battery, I get 1.5 - 2 hours on a charge. I would like more battery time than that, but the 6 cell model wasn't available at the time. (I'm going to buy a replacement battery.) If you have the choice, pay $50 more and get the 6 cell. Replacement batteries run anywhere from $50 (from Hong Kong on eBay) to $100+. There is a 9 cell battery that supposedly gives 7-8 hours of battery time, but it sticks out quite a bit under the Wind. The larger the battery, the heavier it is and the more it sticks out from the thin profile. I think the 6 cell is the optimal trade-off, as it doubles battery time, but is only 3 oz heavier than the 3 cell and doesn't stick out too much.

I'm running Ubuntu on my Wind; it was very easy to install and the startup Grub menu automatically leaves Windows as an option, so it's easy to boot either way. (Not that I use Windows much.) If you're going with Ubuntu, I highly recommend adding the Netbook Remix files so you end up with Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It provides a nice interface for program and file access, and the interface is customizable. More importantly, it uses a different window setup that is optimized for small displays. All windows are automatically maximized, and you switch windows between and within programs through tabs at the top of the display, much like tabbed browsing.

I haven't charged the MSI battery from the car, but I there wouldn't be a problem with the right apparatus. I have a plug that operates from my cigarette lighter and it works to run, and charge, an iPod or a PowerBook.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out the price difference for a 6-cell version is $80 USD and the only other upgrade is it has a 160GB HDD instead of 120GB, so I'm not too tempted to get the 6-cell version since I would use the extra battery life too much. Also, checked ebay and most are priced $60-70 USD with free shipping but they are mostly black batteries.
white version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152085
black version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152075

Going to Missouri S&T!!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 gig SSD Wow thats smaller then the eeepc 900 series at 20 gig SSD

Wonder why they shrunk it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: