123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch (Dual Graphics)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Review: Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch (Dual Graphics) Reply with quote

Review: Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch (Dual Graphics)
Approved by: Glenn
Category: MacBook Pro

PC Magazine - "Rarely does Apple update an entire line of laptops in one fell swoop. While the new aluminum MacBooks didn't come as a surprise, a new MacBook Pro seemed like a long shot. This latest crop of MacBook Pros benefit from a new manufacturing process and host of performance tweaks that keep them among the best notebooks on the market. The Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch (Dual Graphics, $2,499) is an amazing piece of design engineering, not just because Apple marketed the living daylights out of the manufacturing process, but because it looks and feels that way. In addition to a glass screen, a lighter and thinner aluminum chassis, and a multi-purpose touchpad, this thin-and-light also boasts dual graphics cards from nVidia."

Read more...

* We are in the process of changing the "More News" forum, so this topic might seem out of place.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a pretty fair review, both positives and negatives, and I think that's reflective of the regard that more PC magazines have for Macs since they started using Intel chips.
Wedge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did indeed seem a somewhat fair article. This struck me as still very PC centric however:
Quote:
Built-in media card readers are found in almost every laptop on the market—except those with the Apple logo. With the proliferation of digital cameras, you'd think that Apple would at least include an SD slot.

While SD is certainly a market leader right now, why include a very specific slot just for one specific type of media? I cant tell you how many of my friends have Windows laptops with media slots, and they rarely use them. One friend has a Vaio, with only MemoryStick slots, another has an SD/MMC/xD slot, yet he shoots with a DSLR, so he uses CompactFlash.

These types of only partially useful addons are why many PC laptops are 8 pound 3" thick bricks.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, personally, but I don't think the desire for a media card reader represents an anti-Mac bias. I have one of those media card readers on my MSI Wind and I have yet to try it out.
Wedge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was anti-Mac, it's just more of the PC mindset that more features = better, where in reality, sometimes more features = more bloat.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac users have much the same mindset, just for different features. Witness the negative comments about removing the firewire port from the new MacBooks. (Although I happen to agree that firewire is very useful.)
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple issues with the new MacBooks.

1. Those darn glossy screens. (I'll never be fan)
2. Those darn chicklet keys. (I could warm up to them, but I'm still not a fan)
3. No Firewire on the MacBook. (Not a deal breaker, but a letdown)
4. I'm hesitant about the new trackpad without a traditional mouse button. (I would need to test this)
5. The price. (I just think Apple can do better)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: