123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cinnamon Peripherals Intros CinnaMount mini USB Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac Migs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Mac Migs wrote:
Hmmm... good point devo. I'm not sure what CinnaMount has in mind for their design either but I was planning on getting an external antenna for my AEBS from Quickertek anyway.

You can just put that baby anywhere then. Are you getting the entire 802.11n upgrade kit from them? I've given some thought to buying one myself.

I doubt if I'll be getting the upgrade "n" kit for my Mini, I currently have it connected to my AEBS via ethernet cable. I don't know if I want to spend anymore money on my Mini but I'll definitely be getting the upgrade antenna kit for my AEBS.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
From the photos I've seen the antennas seem to be at the bottom. But yes you are right, the Airport Extreme mount will take the antennas into account.

I've never taken my AEBS apart, but I'm pretty sure they are right on the sides. There's also one up front, but that shouldn't be an issue. Take a look at these pictures.

http://homepage.mac.com/macanix/PhotoAlbum1.html
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Migs wrote:
I don't know if I want to spend anymore money on my Mini but I'll definitely be getting the upgrade antenna kit for my AEBS.

That's sort of my thinking in one regard. Heck, I might be ready to buy a new Mac mini by the time Apple gets around to updating it. You would think it will come standard with 802.11n. Although, you never know with Apple.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point we're probably better off waiting for Snow Leopard, given that the price of OS X is a huge part of the Mac mini's cost.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: I don't get it... Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing the point...

This just gives you a USB port on the front of the mini?

My desk came with a usb hub, all of my day-to-day peripherals are plugged into the back of the mini (2/4 slots, one for printer, one for iPhone dock) then the cable to the hub is in the 3rd...

No offense, I just don't care for that look. I'm wondering if there is some other benefit I'm not understanding...

The mini looks great by itself, this thing clutters the look IMO...

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't get it... Reply with quote

imola.zhp wrote:
Maybe I'm missing the point...

This just gives you a USB port on the front of the mini?

My desk came with a usb hub, all of my day-to-day peripherals are plugged into the back of the mini (2/4 slots, one for printer, one for iPhone dock) then the cable to the hub is in the 3rd...

No offense, I just don't care for that look. I'm wondering if there is some other benefit I'm not understanding...

The mini looks great by itself, this thing clutters the look IMO...

Yes, the point is to get a USB port at the front of the Mac mini. If you have a desk with a built-in USB hub, then you don't need such a feature. Also, the mount is used to install the Mac mini under a desk or a shelf. At that point it becomes a good feature to have a front USB port because the back becomes less accessible.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
jeremyh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Antennas Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I've never taken my AEBS apart, but I'm pretty sure they are right on the sides. There's also one up front, but that shouldn't be an issue. Take a look at these pictures.

Yup, you're right. Also, keep in mind that the groove around the AEBS is actually a vent. We discovered this when we were designing our mount. Can't block that too much.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still like to buy three of these CinnaMounts for my Mac mini and LaCie mini drives. I think they look really cool. But here's the problem. I think I would need to take my TV stand apart to mount them in the cabinet. There just isn't much room in there to work. Sad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Antennas Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:
Yup, you're right. Also, keep in mind that the groove around the AEBS is actually a vent. We discovered this when we were designing our mount. Can't block that too much.

I don't think blocking off an inch or two of the groove would be a concern. I'm sure some heat would still escape from the ends. I mean between the AirPort Extreme and the sides of the mount, if that makes any sense. The AirPort Extreme also has a vent going around the bottom, but that shouldn't be an issue. Especially if the mount has the same dimensions as the rubber pad. I think my only concern would be with blocking those antennas off behind metal. Well, that and the location of the mount itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: