123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krametash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Opensky: The ACDs have a 14ms response time too. Seems it's the standard.
20" Samsung Widescreen display
or_astroman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14ms may be Apple's standard, but it's far below industry standard. TV response time is typically around 8ms and most computer monitors are around 5ms.

I have my mini hooked up to my LCD tv (8ms) and I get some noticeble motion blur. Apple has to be doing something different with their monitors to keep motion blur down to acceptable levels.

For those of you with ACDs, what is watching video(high quality) like on them? Do you notice motion artifacts?

Veteran 1.5Ghz PowerPC(Stock)
Cake Devil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or_astroman wrote:
For those of you with ACDs, what is watching video(high quality) like on them? Do you notice motion artifacts?

I have a 23" Cinema connected to my Mac Mini. I don't see any ghosting while watching movies or DVDs. I do see a little while watching TV, but I think that is more the fault of my Eye TV Hybrid. Overall though, I love my Cinema display. The viewing angles and contrast are better than anything out there. I just wish that it had more inputs. That's really my only (and I mean ONLY) complaint.
or_astroman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how they get around that 14ms spec then. Maybe they use a different scale to measure response time. After the spec it says "average". Maybe the 5ms times are peak times where the average could be way lower.

I'm gonna do some digging. I've never heard anybody complain about their ACD so they have to be doing something right.

Although I'm not inclined to give up my 37" "monitor" Very Happy

Veteran 1.5Ghz PowerPC(Stock)
Cake Devil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or_astroman wrote:
I wonder how they get around that 14ms spec then. Maybe they use a different scale to measure response time. After the spec it says "average". Maybe the 5ms times are peak times where the average could be way lower.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I think Apple only states the gray-to-gray response time. Some companies go with the white-black-white response time, so that gives them a boost. The only thing I know for sure is that it works and looks great. Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or_astroman wrote:
I'm gonna do some digging. I've never heard anybody complain about their ACD so they have to be doing something right.

You might read about some "pinkish" issues with the older 23" model, but that's about it. They are just excellent displays. I wouldn't trade my 20" for the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: