123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook Family
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I can't believe Apple dumped firewire on the Macbook. That is just unbelievable.

I just bought a MacBook at the end of August and I am very glad that I did. As nice as the other features seem to be; the missing firewire would have been a deal killer. I wonder what was their reasoning behind the decision.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
blazer wrote:
I can't believe Apple dumped firewire on the Macbook. That is just unbelievable.

I just bought a MacBook at the end of August and I am very glad that I did. As nice as the other features seem to be; the missing firewire would have been a deal killer. I wonder what was their reasoning behind the decision.

Likely the same reason Apple dumped firewire from their iPods. Most consumer level users don't use it. Cutting out a firewire port on each Macbook will save Apple millions. It also forces professionals into buy professional products that do include firewire.

It's not like Apple hasn't been known to cut features on purpose to get people to spend more money.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
fuentecigar wrote:
blazer wrote:

Likely the same reason Apple dumped firewire from their iPods. Most consumer level users don't use it. Cutting out a firewire port on each Macbook will save Apple millions. It also forces professionals into buy professional products that do include firewire.

It's not like Apple hasn't been known to cut features on purpose to get people to spend more money.

That does sound right.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't said this about an Apple product in a long time... I absolutely, without a doubt, hate the new design of the MacBooks. It basically looks like they glued the top of a cheap HP laptop onto the MacBook Pro. And don't even get me started on the glossy screen itself. I'm just shocked, shocked. Crying or Very sad
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
fuentecigar wrote:
blazer wrote:

That does sound right.

Why not? From who's standpoint? Apple shareholders or a small percentage of consumers? The iPods are still selling just fine.

Most people (guessing 80%) don't even know what a firewire port is. Only a small percentage of those users (at the consumer level) use firewire.

Firewire is great. I love it. However I can live without it. Obviously Apple feels most consumers can live without it.

There are no pro level products that don't offer firewire. So it's not like Apple has eliminated it. They've just done so at a consumer level. If people "need" it then buck up and buy professional level products.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sound right.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
Does sound right.

BANDITBILL!! SLOW DOWN!!! HE'S AGREEING WITH YOU!!!

Wink Laughing Wink Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MadDog 40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the new 13" MacBook, but I wish the $1299 model came with a backlit keyboard. Anyways, how long do you think it will take for these to show up at Best Buy? I don't live close to an Apple Store anymore.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

I'm not interested in the MacBook anymore, higher price, I'm not a fan of the look, and no FireWire! I'm just going to get a Lenovo if I get a laptop now, cheaper better Linux love, a Lenovo reseller/repair shop I go to anyway for SILUG.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
MadDog 40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: well Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
I'm not interested in the MacBook anymore, higher price, I'm not a fan of the look, and no FireWire!

I can respect your stance on the looks and lack of FireWire, but it's really not any more expensive. The old white model with a SuperDrive was priced at $1299. At least that's the way I'm looking at it.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, a bigger hard drive for the Air!!

Very Happy
Jeffy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm anxious to try the glass multi-touch trackpad on either the MacBook or MacBook Pro. It just sounds wild on paper.
castaway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little skeptical at first, but I think they are starting to grow on me. I cannot wait to see one in person.
Krametash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Opensky: OH WELL.....looks like you're going to have to go for a Macbook Pro Wink

I'm not in the notebook market right now (just bought a Macbook less than a year ago) but I do like these new notebooks a lot. Faster GPUs will really speed up these notebooks with the release of snow leopard. Like the knew trackpad too. However, I'm quite confused at the lack of firewire. Firewire used to be Apple's thing, and it's quite surprising that they've ditched it. Maybe they'll incorporate that new firewire technology where you can get a FW/ethernet adapter. But I'm not as infuriated as you guys are about the FW, just confused.

Regarding the MBP: 2.8GHZ!!!!!!! that's some hardcore comping power right there Wink

Also, 1066MHZ FSB and 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRAM on BOTH models! Is no one else seriously impressed by the specs (not just the looks) on these things?! The fact that Apple has put DDR3 RAM and a 1066MHz FSB on their low-end model means competing brands may need to play catch-up.

Dunno about you guys, I'm really impressed by this new revamp Very Happy Yet again, Apple blows us away Wink

My brother's really kicking himself, he just bought a MBP a month or so ago!

Kramer Smile
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
fuentecigar wrote:
Does sound right.

BANDITBILL!! SLOW DOWN!!! HE'S AGREEING WITH YOU!!!

Wink Laughing Wink Laughing

Smile oops

Along the same topic though. Did you see the video where Jonathan Ives mentioned that that goal of the new Macbook was to eliminate all things unnecessary? Firewire is a real deal breaker for some people, but honestly at a consumer level there are probably more people with the need for a parallel port for their older printers (again at a consumer level).

Apples really just noted for moving on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: