123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to wirelessly connect to Airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Unable to wirelessly connect to Airport Reply with quote

Two days ago I was on the Windows side of my MacBook when suddenly I lost my Airport signal. After restarting the Airport and waiting for a couple of hours didn't work like usual, I went back to the Mac side and still wasn't able to connect. I then got on my Mini, which is hardwired to the Airport and tried to connect wirelessly and couldn't.

I tried changing channels and turning interference robustness on and off and this didn't help. In the Airport Admin utility, it shows the channel as being switched. But when monitoring in AirRadar, it still sees the original Channel 1 no matter what channel I put the Airport on. Also on both machines, I am able to see my Airport, but am not able to connect to it. Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can't connect to the AEBS after a soft reset via ethernet? Does it show up in the AirPort Utility? If not, you may need to try a factory (hard) reset.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ok then, I learned something new today. After all these years using an AE, I've never had the need for a hard reset. I never had the need so much, I didn't even know that a hard reset existed. After messing around with it for hours, not being able to get a soft reset to do anything, I did a hard reset and it worked. Thanks Devo!!!
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I spoke too soon. Just after the above post, I lost my internet connection. I was still connected to the AE wirelessly, I just wasn't able to connect to the internet wirelessly through AE. I did another hard reset, setup the AE again and that was solved.
This morning again, none of my computers could find the AE, but it was showing up in AirRadar. It finally showed up, but keeps dropping in and out. Then I decided to add the Express back in. Ended up having to to do a factory reset on that. Now thats done and has a green light, AirPort utility isn't able to to see both the Express and AE at the same time. It will see one or the other and keeps changing which one it sees, but not both.
I also can't print wirelessly through the Express and am trying to get that figured out.
Any ideas on any of this?
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is getting frustrating now. I am literally running around in circles between my three computers trying to get then all to be able to connect to AE and the internet.

Heres an example: I was on the Windows side of my MacBook and was able to connect. I then went to my Powerbook and was able to connect as well (I thought I was getting somewhere then). So I go back to my MacBook no more than 5 minutes later and its connected to the AE, but I can't get an internet connection. I restarted it in OSX since I'm better at troubleshooting there and had the same result, no internet. After not having any luck with anything else, I restarted the AE. Now I'm able to connect to the AE and internet on the MacBook, but not the PowerBook. It seems like this problem continues to revolve around the three computers and I can't seem to get one to connect without having a problem with another one.

And still can't wireless print. Airport utility recognizes the printer connected to the Express, but when I try to print to it, it can't connect.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, we almost had it. Sad

Is your DSL or cable modem enabled as a DHCP server? Have you tried resetting it as well? It sounds like an IP problem at this point.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IP is Comcast and I did reboot that modem several times. But that shouldn't cause me to use my wireless AirPort connection...maybe more than one issue at the same time and thats why I'm running in circles.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Devo, it kind of sounds like DHCP or DHCP lease issue. Do you have your AEBS set up in bridge mode?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: