123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airport always scanning, internet reception horrible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DellApple

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Airport always scanning, internet reception horrible Reply with quote

I am so frustrated with my new Mac Mini as the airport seems to be always scanning causing a slow internet connection. i went as far as to take down the mini and put up my PC which works fine on the internet. I see this has been a big problem with Macs, has their been a fix published yet?

Mac OS software is slowly but surely getting like Microsoft O/S.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say it is "always scanning", do you mean that when you first click on the WiFi icon on the top of the screen, it says "scanning"? If so, this is because when you click on it, it automatically scans for available networks, to show whats available. It is not scanning the whole time.

This problem is with YOUR computer and/or setup, not "all macs". My connection is flawless. I was having problems, and I thought it was the computer, the router, the modem...turned out to be the crappy coaxial cable running between my modem and the cable that came in off the pole. Since your PC seems to be working OK, it sounds like you just have to figure out what the issue is with your mini...Could be your WiFi card, your settings, your router's communication with your mini (are you using a Linksys? They don't always like to play nice with Macs for some reason), or maybe you just need to do a re-install of OS X?

Quote:
Mac OS software is slowly but surely getting like Microsoft O/S.

You need a serious reality check, my friend. Maybe playing around with your PC for awhile will remind you what drives people away from Windows in the first place. Find someone who has their Mac configured properly, and compare that to Windows. I use Macs, PCs, and Linux. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but Windows is like hitting yourself in the head with a brick compared to OS X.
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your comments. The problem is that My Mini seems to be scanning offf and on all the time. I googled the problem on the internet and saw that a lot of people are having the same issue. It's annoying as hell. By the way, my mini is in my bedroom so its wirelessly connecting to the internet and I have Fios internet.

The other issue I have and it happens on all my Macs is that the computer seems to ask me a lot for my password as its retreiving emails. Again, I googled this issue and a lot of people have this problem too.

Both these issues are 10.5.2 issues from what I can read on the internet. Right now I am working full time and going to school for my MBA so I have limited time to mess with this stuff. I am going to pull out my Mini G4 and see if that one had any issues like this since I never upgraded the Operating system.

Thanks again!

Patrick
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Patrick,

I do have the Mail issues, where it will ask for my Password at random. I just click cancel and it goes back to what its supposed to be doing. It only happens with some of my accounts, but not my primary account.

I hear you on the "limited time" thing, as I myself am in Nursing school . I usually tackle all the big computer stuff on the weekends: This weekend, I'm changing out the CPU in my PC to try and get it to run at a reasonable temperature. Thats my idea of relaxing!

What type of wireless router are you using? If you have access to someone else with a wireless setup, you might try hooking up your mini in close proximity to it and see if still has the issues. Another thing you can do to isolate the problem, it to hook up to your modem with an ethernet cable temporarily and see if it works. If it does, then its a problem with the router and or your wireless settings.

Anyway, I guess my point is that it is not a normal Mac thing to not be able to properly connect to the internet. If you are still under warranty, I would take it in to an Apple store and have them look at it. One more thing I thought of is your browser. I heard some folks say they were having problems with Safari lately. I only use Firefox. Try a different browser, and see if that helps. Good luck.
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try as you suggested this weekend. It's brand new so it is still under warranty. The router I am using is from Verizon FIOS. Good luck in nursing school; my sister went back to nursing school while raising three kids and has done very well. She works three days a week and makes me then I and I am an accountant.

Thanks again!

Patrick
tiguy99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DellApple wrote:
I appreciate your comments. The problem is that My Mini seems to be scanning offf and on all the time. I googled the problem on the internet and saw that a lot of people are having the same issue. It's annoying as hell. By the way, my mini is in my bedroom so its wirelessly connecting to the internet and I have Fios internet.

The other issue I have and it happens on all my Macs is that the computer seems to ask me a lot for my password as its retreiving emails. Again, I googled this issue and a lot of people have this problem too.

Both these issues are 10.5.2 issues from what I can read on the internet. Right now I am working full time and going to school for my MBA so I have limited time to mess with this stuff. I am going to pull out my Mini G4 and see if that one had any issues like this since I never upgraded the Operating system.

Thanks again!

Patrick

Seriously, I would take it to Apple and have the genius take a look at it. Your Wifi antenna may need to be replaced. In fact, I would ask they replace the wifi assembly modem card and the antenna.

adapter

http://www.welovemacs.com/6613890.html

antenna

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Intel-Mini-Airport-Antenna-Part-631-0283-A_W0QQitemZ370092807219QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370092807219&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Both are relatively easy to do but since your unit is under warranty I'd have them do it and get it over with. Best case scenario they could always install one of these and then you'll really be straight

http://www.welovemacs.com/n80211em.html

[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: