123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally decided what Mac mini drive to buy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmaoz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how you doing guys

i also ordered a ministack yesterday after i bought a minpal last week and returned it
after a few days, nothing was wrong with it i just wanted a bigger drive and more cache.
about the issue with the seagate drive, i called OWC and they told me that there is a problem with some of the seagate models so i didn't got the drive from tigerdirect even that I'm a seagate fun and it's look like a great deal
i did some research around and found this Maxtor 200gb drive with 16mb cache 7200RPM ATA133 for $95 it's look like a good deal so i order one

hope i will be happy with the Maxtor even i heard some people saying they had issue with there Maxtor drive before

devo maybe you want to check this drive too

tomer
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Dammit the drive is a 7200.8. I might call and cancel my order if it hasn't shipped. I don't know where my head was at. Mad

Says "Some". Why don't you wait and see if it fits. If not, return it.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
devo wrote:
Dammit the drive is a 7200.8. I might call and cancel my order if it hasn't shipped. I don't know where my head was at. Mad

Says "Some". Why don't you wait and see if it fits. If not, return it.

The drive has shipped. I'm a little worried that if it's tight fit there won't be enough room for ventilation. Not a big deal, I can always use the drive in another box.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look they lower the price $10:

250 GB Western Digital Caviar SE 7200 RPM
8 MB Cache, Serial ATA Hard Drive (Recertified)
Model: RWD2500J

Our Price: $79.99

In Stock: Yes
About recertified drives: Western Digital thoroughly tests numerous performance characteristics of all drives before giving them the "recertified" stamp of approval.

Go to http://store.westerndigital.com/product.asp?sku=2688151
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for other miniStack owners. I am a little confused where to tape the heat sensor. Should it be right in the center of the motor?

BTW I got the drive in, but it was an insanely tight fit. The ATA cable is right smack against the inner side of the case. It may even be pushing the side out a little because there's a larger gap with the top lid on that side. You can't really see it when the Mac mini is stacked on top.
spoonman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

As I have stated in other threads here... I have a 7200.8 in my ministack... granted it was a VERY tight fit.. but seems to work ok. I would be curious to see if others have done this as well... I do have some weird "seeking" with my drive though... not sure if it is something that is normal with the drive or not.... and it did do it before I put it in the ministack....

Devo.... I didn't even bother taping the sensor in mine. I just set it on "top" of the drive once it was installed.... The top was hard to get on mine since I think the case gets skewed with the drive installed. Once the top was on, it straightened out.
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonman wrote:

Devo.... I didn't even bother taping the sensor in mine. I just set it on "top" of the drive once it was installed.... The top was hard to get on mine since I think the case gets skewed with the drive installed. Once the top was on, it straightened out.

I did what you said. I've only heard the fan kick on twice. Guess it is working. It's all good!

Does your ATA cable touch the side and seem a little long? Mine is way long and folded. I might take it back apart and make some minor adjustments. The top is easier to yank off than I thought it would be.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I have a question for other miniStack owners. I am a little confused where to tape the heat sensor. Should it be right in the center of the motor?

I originally had mine taped next to the spindle on top of the drive but later moved it down and taped it to the side of the drive. The fan rarely revs up and the temperature (at least according to my cheapo thermometer) has not increased noticeably. Glad your drive fit!
Dell 1905FP
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:

Glad your drive fit!

Me too! I took the top back off and taped it to the side. I think it was touching the top plastic when it was on top of the spindle or laying loose. I thought it should be touching the drive somewhere. I moved a bunch files over and it seemed pretty snappy. I have no plans to use it as a boot drive. So far so good!
spoonman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
spoonman wrote:

I did what you said. I've only heard the fan kick on twice. Guess it is working. It's all good!

Does your ATA cable touch the side and seem a little long? Mine is way long and folded. I might take it back apart and make some minor adjustments. The top is easier to yank off than I thought it would be.

Yeah, It did seem a little long to me as well. I guess that is good as it gives you more space to wrestle that drive in. Shocked

The one thing I found that made the drive go in easier was I took the fan out and re-routed the cables that plug into the board right next to the drive, They are now routed UNDER the fan instead of between the drive and the board. With the temp sensor just laying in there, the fan did seem to run more since the bottom of the mini is a heatsink for the video. I added some rubber feet between the two and it is all better now. ( And no, I didn't actually STICK the feet on, they are just spacers Very Happy )

Does your drive make "seeking" sounds from time to time?? They seem to last about 30 secs or so on mine, even if there is no drive activity. I am just curious if others with the seagate drives have noticed this.
Combo optical drive
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonman wrote:

Does your drive make "seeking" sounds from time to time?? They seem to last about 30 secs or so on mine, even if there is no drive activity. I am just curious if others with the seagate drives have noticed this.

I've noticed the same thing. It makes a fast ticking noise for around 20-30 seconds every 10 minutes or so. It stops immediately when you access the drive or open another folder. Have you noticed that the noise will stop when you open a folder?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonman wrote:

If you do a search on seagate and STIR you'll find some comments on this behavior. Here is a snip from a Seagate Tech Support response:

"When the drive is totally idle, that is with no command activity being sent from the host and none pending, it will do seeks based on a timer. Usually this happens every 15 to 30 seconds, depending on the model of drive you have.

This is called STIR (seek to improve reliability). This is designed to prevent the heads from remaining in any given position for extended periods of time. Since the heads are flying a very short distance above the media, and are flying on a cushion of air, the compression of the air beneath the head does impart a small amount of heat to the media because of the friction involved. If the heads remained over a cylinder for extended periods of time, the heat build-up on the media in a small localized area could degrade the media in that particular locality. So, periodically during idle, the heads will be moved to another cylinder and the servo recalibrated for all heads. This is perfectly normal. "
Dell 1905FP
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good news greg. How did you ever find that out? Was your drive making the same noise? I was slightly concerned. I thought it might have something to do with the put hard disk"s" to sleep when possible option or the miniStack's chipset.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Thanks for the good news greg. How did you ever find that out? Was your drive making the same noise? I was slightly concerned. I thought it might have something to do with the put hard disk"s" to sleep when possible option or the miniStack's chipset.

Actually, my drive does not make that noise but it is an older Seagate that I pulled out of a PC. When you mentioned it, I recalled seeing discussions of this when I was browsing some hardware forums for info on the 2.5" 7200rpm Seagates.
Dell 1905FP
spoonman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
spoonman wrote:

If you do a search on seagate and STIR you'll find some comments on this behavior. Here is a snip from a Seagate Tech Support response:

"When the drive is totally idle, that is with no command activity being sent from the host and none pending, it will do seeks based on a timer. Usually this happens every 15 to 30 seconds, depending on the model of drive you have.

This is called STIR (seek to improve reliability). This is designed to prevent the heads from remaining in any given position for extended periods of time. Since the heads are flying a very short distance above the media, and are flying on a cushion of air, the compression of the air beneath the head does impart a small amount of heat to the media because of the friction involved. If the heads remained over a cylinder for extended periods of time, the heat build-up on the media in a small localized area could degrade the media in that particular locality. So, periodically during idle, the heads will be moved to another cylinder and the servo recalibrated for all heads. This is perfectly normal. "

Greg,
Thanks for the info.... That makes me feel better.

Devo,
Yes, my drive stops the seeking when I access it, or when it goes to sleep. Laughing

Sorry for the slow response. Work just gets in the way of the social life.... Wink
Combo optical drive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: