123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LG external dvd dual layer burner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dasmoon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: LG external dvd dual layer burner Reply with quote

Is anyone here in the fourms know of anyone running an LG external DVD dual layer (or single layer) on there mac mini. I read somewhere, which i can't remember now where I read it but, I heard LG external DVD's dont' work with the mini. Any truth to this?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not true. I don't own one, but I've been looking into it.

Take a look through the forum pictures. You'll see at least one users picture with it as part of their system.

EDIT: Sorry. I read your post again. I was thinking LaCie not LG. I don't know much about LG burners, sorry.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
sanderssc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini and LG External Super Multi Drive Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently purchased a mac mini and have been experimenting with what it can do. I work mostly on pc, but would like to "switch". I plugged my new LG super multi into the mac mini and used patch burn. It seems to work fine, but I haven't really ran it through the "full test".

Shawn
thelox714

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the LaCie D2 DL +/- Lighscribe burner.. works wonders with my mac mini.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10113

i am using toast 7.. when i bought it came with toast 6.

very nice.. i do trust LaCie..
clairejr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the LG 5163D dual layer DVD drive and it works perfectly on my Mini with Tiger (10.4.2). I didn't need Patch Burn - Apple's system profiler recognized the drive. I burned a data DVD with Toast 5.2.3 with no difficulty (except Toast won't do multi-session DVDs) and a disk image of an iDVD project with Apple's disk utility. I'd highly recommend this drive - it makes no noise, seems to burn perfectly, and is beautiful (matches the Mini nicely). I'm using it with the firewire connection - firewire attached to my EZQuest Cobra+ external drive (boot drive); I haven't tried it with USB 2.0 so I don't know if it works as well with that connection.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering how fast you can burn with it. I own a Pioneer DVR-110 D in an external FW 400 enclosure. I found out it will not run any faster than 12 x (16 x will turn out in a failed disk) with Verbatim 16 x media, though taking exact the same time as a 6x burn with a DVD-RW!
The test was done via Nero in a Windows machine though! Embarassed
clairejr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used 8x disks so far, but I had trouble burning data DVDs at that speed. I think, however, the problem is with the DVD media - I'm using TEAC DVD+R and I don't think the quality is that good. Video DVDs, on the other hand, have burned quickly (4x for Disk image from OS 10.4.2 Disk Utility program) and perfectly with TDK DVD-R disks.

A full data DVD took about 15 minutes using the OS 10.4.2 Finder (at 4x). For me that's fast enough. Interestingly, a couple of times Finder reported that the disk didn't verify, but Disk Utility reported that the disk was okay and I was able to copy data from it to my hard drive. When I use up the TEAC DVDs I'll switch to only TDKs and see if they're more reliable (my experience is that they are with CDs).
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clairejr wrote:
I've only used 8x disks so far, but I had trouble burning data DVDs at that speed. I think, however, the problem is with the DVD media - I'm using TEAC DVD+R and I don't think the quality is that good. Video DVDs, on the other hand, have burned quickly (4x for Disk image from OS 10.4.2 Disk Utility program) and perfectly with TDK DVD-R disks.

A full data DVD took about 15 minutes using the OS 10.4.2 Finder (at 4x). For me that's fast enough. Interestingly, a couple of times Finder reported that the disk didn't verify, but Disk Utility reported that the disk was okay and I was able to copy data from it to my hard drive. When I use up the TEAC DVDs I'll switch to only TDKs and see if they're more reliable (my experience is that they are with CDs).

It just depends who is the real manufacturer and the combination with the burner. Verbatim (Mitsubishi Chemicals Corporation productcode)IS able to be burned at 16 X (about 6 minutes) but inside a pc connected to a IDE cable. I read the leading websites about it (cdrinfo.com and speedlabs.org) but they only use internal machines and not through a Firewire 400 line. My guess is, if connected to a Firewire 800 and a fast enough machine, there is maximum speed possible. I have it connected to an old AMD Athlon 850 machine with 512 mb RAM.. I was wondering if LaCie will guarantee full 16X burning capability (they use the cheap NEC burners!)? It MIGHT have something to do with the chipset and firmware of the enclosure as well. Anyway, the dvd+r's burned as such in my machine at 12x in about 11 minutes work very well on my stand alone dvd Onkyo which is VERY HARD TO PLEASE!! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: