123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Which one? Reply with quote

I've pretty much settled on the Acer Aspire One if I get one, but now comes the hard part which to get? I've settled on either 16GB SSD or 120GB HDD, but I want it in sapphire so does anyone know where I can get one for around $350?
Also, I plan on using it for Linux only, Ubuntu only actually and could just get an extra SDHC card for extra storage (granted it is more money I would have to spend). As it is now I'm opting for HDD since there are pretty simple CF to 2.5" SATA conversion options.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115499

J&R
http://www.jr.com/acer-computer/pe/ACE_AOA1501570/

I would go with the 120GB model. You might a little money on the flash model, but you're going to fill it up and want more in like ten seconds.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115499

J&R
http://www.jr.com/acer-computer/pe/ACE_AOA1501570/

I would go with the 120GB model. You might a little money on the flash model, but you're going to fill it up and want more in like ten seconds.

Didn't think about looking at that one on Newegg, passed over it since I couldn't see a picture. Though after looking again I might get the 160GB HDD with 6-cell battery:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115513 .

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely go with the 6-cell model if you can afford it. It may be heavier and add some bulk, but the extra battery life rules. Then again, you could always buy the 3-cell model and buy the 6-cell on its own. Do you know what they are asking for the 6-cell?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I would definitely go with the 6-cell model if you can afford it. It may be heavier and add some bulk, but the extra battery life rules. Then again, you could always buy the 3-cell model and buy the 6-cell on its own. Do you know what they are asking for the 6-cell?

One price I found had $100 and that was the cheapest. I hope they make a dual core version though, that would be sweet, but there is not mobile Atom listed on the Intel site.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 3-cell MSI Wind because the 6-cell wasn't available at the time. The 6-cell costs $50 more than the 3, but to buy a 6-cell battery, the cheapest price I see is $103. Whether you need a 6-cell or not depends on how you plan to use the netbook. Mine lasts only 2 hours at best with the 3-cell. If you have any doubts, buy the 6-cell.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting over 4 hours with my Asus 1000H. That was one of the major selling points for me. I mean, having the 6-cell come standard. And I'm getting that 4 plus hours with Wi-Fi turned on and the screen brightness at like 80%.
iLife's a Bitch!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3-cell seems like enough for my uses, plus the 6-cell wouldn't fit in a sleeve very well. I think that I'll get the 120GB 1GB RAM version in Blue Sapphire, load it with Ubuntu get a 16GB SDHC to keep in it (probably later and just use my 2GB SD card for now) and get a small portable mouse to use, now later on I might look into upgrading the wireless to 802.11n.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: