123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell's new "Studio Slim"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krametash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

It's been a while, but I didn't want to start a new thread(I knew I would get the attention of the guys I wanted posting on here anyway) *Really need your help here Aqua/Fox/Hackers and co.

Right so I finally got around to getting out the old Dell Dimension 8200 (2.4 GHz, 512RDRAM, 80GB HD, nVidia Legacy GeForce4 Ti4200 with S-video out). I was all excited about installing Ubuntu and stuff on it, so I hooked it up to the power, plugged in my keyboard, mouse and monitor, and hit the power button to see...............Huge multi-coloured lines and bars across my screen!!!!! Soon after I got the good old blue screen saying my graphics card driver got stuck in an infinite loop.......Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

So I figured I should boot into safe mode and download the latest nvidia drivers etc. But none of them worked! Crying or Very sad I even went onto the nVidia website that scanned my system to tell me which driver to download. Even that didn't work!

My questions:
1. If I was to take out the HD, wipe it, and install Ubuntu on it would it take care of the problem?
2.If I Bought another HD and set it up as my master drive and installed Ubuntu on it, and set the current HD up as my slave drive, would the comp boot up into Ubuntu? Or would I just get the blue screen again?

Thanks,
Kramer
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the one hand, I have read in many places that nVidia cards (especially legacy ones) are a challenge to Linux (because of the lack of open source drivers). On the other hand, I have found that of the distros I've tested, Ubuntu is one of the worst at figuring out proper video, especially at boot-up. I have experienced this on a Pentium 4, a PowerBook and to a lesser extent, on a netbook (only splash image distortion in the latter).

What you might consider trying is starting over and reinstalling a more video-friendly distro. Ones that have the reputation of good hardware sensing include Linux Mint, SimplyMEPIS, and PCLinuxOS. I think that all three are based on Ubuntu or Debian, so their operation should be familiar to you. Alternatively, try Debian itself.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kramer,

Judging without seeing is difficult, but here is what I think.

It is a process of elimination.

I suggest you divide the problem into two categories.

1. Physical components

2. Software...aka OS's

To start with, do the physical tests first.

Make sure all the parts are clean of dust etc This is particularly beneficial to the working life of the machine.

Externally.

After cleaning, re-connect everything that would normally be connected : and nothing more. Ie Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor only. Don't connect anything else.

Internally.

Check the Ram is seated properly.

Check that the Video card is seated properly.

Check all internal ide/sata cable connections to the drive etc.

(I should ask if this is the monitor / Vcard etc that all came as stock standard componentry with your Dell machine).

Then restart the machine and see if it boots into windows 2000 / Xp .

I presume the machine has some sort of OS on it...

Let us know if the machine behaves properly up to that stage.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Ghostdawg, Hackers, Fox and a few others... are all into a bit of Linux play..

<raises hand> Wink

I spent several years as a UNIX admin, so it was natural that it was my sole desktop OS of choice for several years. I was totally disinterested in Mac OS until the UNIX-based OS X arrived on the scene. (and, unlike a lot of "typical" switchers, I never used the nasty on any of my personal machines)

And have I mentioned how I hate when people equate "PC" with the nasty? AFAIC, PC is generic x86-based hardware. When coupled with a sane OS, they provides great bang for you buck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
When coupled with a sane OS, they provides great bang for you buck.

Here here..

And not only that...iMav..

Linux / Unix also provides a great service to the world : or at least it could do even more, if people / companies could be talked out of taking their older and slower PC's to the dump and instead, giving those out of date machines a second lease on life.

This is the way I have saved / recycled a goodly number of PC's that would have otherwise ended up as toxic landfill...

Aqua

Ps : The sane bit of Unix / Linux is kinda a sliding scale at times... Wink

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: