123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nebook Linux versions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Nebook Linux versions Reply with quote

Anyone here have any experience running Linux distros or versions of distros specific to netbooks? I was reading about gOS and Ubuntu Netbook Remix and they look potentially interesting. In particular, I was wondering whether these "user friendly" versions have been crippled such that it's difficult to change their appearance or install additional software on them? I am presently running Ubuntu 8.04.1 on my MSI Wind; I'm just wondering if there's any advantage to switching to the Netbook Remix or even to trying gOS. Are there any others made for netbooks and freely available worth consideration?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With NetBook Remix there were some issues with the Intel Atom profile so now you can just get the themes and minor tweaks so you can see what it'll look like. gOS I just don't care for, tried it and didn't like it.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
With NetBook Remix there were some issues with the Intel Atom profile so now you can just get the themes and minor tweaks so you can see what it'll look like.

What kind of issues? How do you get the themes and minor tweaks?

What, specifically didn't you like about gOS? Was it the current version (gOS3 gadgets)? It looks very Mac-like.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like gOS 3. That distro is really coming along nicely. The developers seem to really be working hard to make a main stream distro for the masses.

I run it in VMWare Fusion on my Macbook. I love it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A timely subject. Smile

I installed gOS 3 Gadgets on my Asus 1000H over the weekend. It was acting really flaky so I took it off and put Ubuntu 8.04 on the partition. gOS 3 would basically crash after installing new software from the Add/Remove program. It also wouldn't shutdown right. So now I have Ubuntu installed with AWN for a dock/launcher. I also grabbed Google Gadgets from GetDeb. Aside from some of the pretty icons, that's about all you get with gOS 3. Perhaps gOS 2.9 Space is more stable. I just didn't feel like playing around anymore.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't even heard of the Ubuntu Netbook Remix until now. Did you end up giving it a try Fox? It looks kind of neat in the video they have posted.
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet, but it got a positive review from someone on an MSI Wind Linux forum. I'll post when I have tried it; I'm hesitating at the moment because I have a good Ubuntu setup and don't want to mess it up. What I may try is to install it on another partition.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox, you may also want to use something like Partimage to clone your linux distro for backup. Then if something goes wrong, you'll have a complete backup of it.

If/when I get one, I will install a minimum debian on it, then customize it from there!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:
With NetBook Remix there were some issues with the Intel Atom profile so now you can just get the themes and minor tweaks so you can see what it'll look like.

What kind of issues? How do you get the themes and minor tweaks?

What, specifically didn't you like about gOS? Was it the current version (gOS3 gadgets)? It looks very Mac-like.

I found some of the tweaks and they still don't have the Atom config up.
https://edge.launchpad.net/~netbook-remix-team/+archive
gOS just doesn't seem like the right OS for me and went back to Ubuntu 8.04 (hopefully 8.10 soon).

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that there will eventually be a full version released that's different from Ubuntu + tweaks? Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought Ubuntu Netbook Remix would be faster than Ubuntu on a netbook because it leaves out resources that the netbook doesn't have.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
Fox, you may also want to use something like Partimage to clone your linux distro for backup. Then if something goes wrong, you'll have a complete backup of it....

This partimage looks interesting, analogous to a snapshot on a virtualizing program. I presume you save the image to another volume on the same or a different drive. Do you format that volume first and if so, to what format? How would you restore a volume from it?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
(hopefully 8.10 soon).

I think it's coming out the day before Halloween. Twisted Evil

I bet the netbook makers using Linux are excited. It's supposed to add better support for 3G networking.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Does this mean that there will eventually be a full version released that's different from Ubuntu + tweaks? Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought Ubuntu Netbook Remix would be faster than Ubuntu on a netbook because it leaves out resources that the netbook doesn't have.

That's the idea and that's what the Atom config file was for, but it isn't working yet since it's not back up on that page (the page I gave you had it originally until they found major errors).

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played around a bit with Ubuntu Netbook Remix; I installed the remix files onto a Ubuntu virtual machine on my iMac. There are some very good features in it, and the idea of having each program use the full display on a netbook makes a lot of sense when you can easily switch between programs with the equivalent of tabbed browsing. Unfortunately, the UME-launcher didn't work very well on my virtual machine. Installing it gave the background and the menus, but anything selected required MINUTES to appear. I uninstalled it. Hopefully the problem was specific to the virtual machine. Once I know that, I'm going to try installing it onto my MSI Wind.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I played around a bit with Ubuntu Netbook Remix; I installed the remix files onto a Ubuntu virtual machine on my iMac. There are some very good features in it, and the idea of having each program use the full display on a netbook makes a lot of sense when you can easily switch between programs with the equivalent of tabbed browsing. Unfortunately, the UME-launcher didn't work very well on my virtual machine. Installing it gave the background and the menus, but anything selected required MINUTES to appear. I uninstalled it. Hopefully the problem was specific to the virtual machine. Once I know that, I'm going to try installing it onto my MSI Wind.

I looked at it and saw videos and as far as an advanced user netbook OS Ubuntu Netbook Remix wins, and hopefully I win in part three of the Master the Mainframe contest and get a MSI Wind to put it on, would be nice.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: