123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diglog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Diglog Reply with quote

If anyone has been doing much stuff with circuitry, they might have been using Log, which is part of the Chipmunk suite of apps. I am a computer engineer at Brown U, and this is the program we use here. I don't want to have to walk to the Sun lab to do all my work for this class so I wanted to install this program on my computer.

Chipmunk includes a circuitry lab called Log, a graphics editor called Until, and a data logging program probably similar to Logger Pro called View. All are provided as source code so compiling them for OS X took a little work as I never got into the compiling part of Linux before I stopped playing around with it. I couldn't find a walkthrough of a Log install anywhere else online, so I figured I would post one here. The instructions are all in the compilation files, but this might help some of you out there, or encourage some of you to become computer or electrical engineers like me!

ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT PREINSTALLATION SYSTEM STATE:
1) X11 is installed and working at /usr/X11R6
2) cd command is still linked to chdir, if you use cd to change directories, you're golden
3) I'm running Tiger fully updated as of this post date: Sept. 23, 2005, so I cannot guarantee that this works for versions prior to this, though I think this should work for every version of OS X

Notes on grammar, when I say change a variable I mean set it equal to so it would go from "CHIPMUNKFLAGS = " to "CHIPMUNKFLAGS = -DBSD -Dlinux -Dfreebsd".

1st: Download psys 1.56 at this direct link
2nd: Create a directory called "chipmunk" somewhere on your hard drive. I put it into my personal folder, so the list looked like chipmunk and then Desktop and then Documents.
3rd: Extract the psys tarball above into that directory.
4th: (Optional) You may download the web-formatted directions for the Chipmunk suite, and I did, but it's all available online here online.
5th: Go into the "Makefile" file in psys/src and edit it at section 3 4 by doing the following steps -
Change "CHIPMUNKFLAGS = " to "CHIPMUNKFLAGS = -DBSD -Dlinux -Dfreebsd"
Change "CHIPMUNKRANFLAGS = " to "CHIPMUNKRANFLAGS = -c"
6th: Go to your chipmunk/psys/src folder and run "make install" in your favorite terminal program
7th: Everything should work fine now, if there're any errors, I can't really help you. Basically, you know you have an error if you see "Error" somewhere before the command quits, if you see nothing, then it worked.
8th: Download Log at this direct link.
9th: Extract the tarball to the chipmunk folder. Go to the chipmunk/log/src folder and open Makefile in TextEdit or whatever text editor you want to use.
10th: I changed the XINCLUDEDIR variable to "/usr/X11R6/include" even though I don't think it is necessary. Next I changed the LIBX11 variable to "-lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib" from "-lX11". I also changed CHIPMUNKFLAGS to "-DBSD -Dlinux -Dfreebsd"
11th: Go to chipmunk/log/src/ana/ and open "Makefile". I changed the XINCLUDEDIR variable for ana as well, though I do not believe it's required for an OS X install. LIBX11 needs to be changed to "-lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib". CHIPMUNKFLAGS should be changed to "-DBSD -Dlinux -Dfreebsd".
12th: To run either diglog, analog, or loged there run their corresponding files in chipmunk/bin

For easy opening open Automator and create a "Run Shell Script" that looks like this:
Code:
cd ~/chipmunk/bin
open diglog

Now you have an easy shortcut to open diglog, though you can do this same thing for any of the other Chipmunk programs you install.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That inspires me NOT TO become a computer engineer.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
That inspires me NOT TO become a computer engineer.

Why? The software we used at my old school was a normal and easy to install Windows software. This software is normally only available in the comp labs, and since I didn't want to walk there, and since I have a Mac, I thought I'd do this. Comp E's get to do all the cool stuff for Apple, like designing the iPod and stuff like that, why wouldn't you want to do that?
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: