123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best non-Apple 802.11n router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Best non-Apple 802.11n router Reply with quote

What is the best non-Apple 802.11n router that is dual-band, not necessarily simultaneously, but preferred (part of why I don't like APBS). Also, if anyone knows of a way to "piggyback" a router off of a router that would solve my need for simultaneous dual band.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Linksys WRT610N sounds like a hot little router. I have no first hand experience with it though.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I think that Linksys WRT610N sounds like a hot little router. I have no first hand experience with it though.

I was looking at that model, always like Linksys.

Found it kind of funny, I opened my PC World I just got today and there's a 2-page ad for the WRT610N, they seem to be pushing it quite a bit.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Squid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at D-Links Xtreme N Gigabit. I'm not sure if its Dual Band but Cnet reported it was pushing at some of the fastest rates of any of their wireless routers. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hwojtek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a D-Link DIR-655 router. This was the first one from dlink with 802.11N and it has been really properly upgraded to do it's job since launch. With the latest US firmware it's quite impressive (up to ability to create TWO wireless networks, one for regular use, encrypted and QoS'ed and another one for guests - limited-speed Internet access only, no internal browsing).

It's really great. However, I cannot push my wifi faster than 130 MB/s, even on the Mac Pro. Odd. This has something to do with it being a 2.4 GHz only.

I will be taking a close look on the next products from dlink (DIR-660 and DIR 825/855) soon. From these, the 825 seems to be the most mature and is a dual-band.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: