123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bypass Proxy Server restrictions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panoramical

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Bypass Proxy Server restrictions... Reply with quote

So the network admin at work decided it would be a good idea to block everything we can do on the internet...
Is there a program similar to Hopster on XP, that works for Mac to tunnel through the proxy server?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most internet-using applications provide details for adding proxy servers. I couldn't find any software quickly that provide basically virtual proxy serving. I'm sure you could find software to set up your home computer as a proxy server and then run all of your internet connections through that computer.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
wasted

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you probably won't want to hear this but: if that is company policy perhaps you might want to consider following it if you wish to keep your current job. It is the company's computer and internet connection and if you are deliberately trying to "circumvent" the system the systems administrator will probably know and management might have a few choice words for you or perhaps some disciplinary measures, up to and including firing. Depends on company policy.

Not saying you shouldn't try what you want to do. Just consider how important to you keeping your job is vs what you want to look at or run via the internet connection at work. At the very least if I were you I'd ask my supervisor what the stance and reasoning was for that decision.

Just my $.02. Please don't take personal offense to it. Our organization does have an electronic communications policy (as do most other organizations). We aren't that strict at enforcing it, but if push came to shove, I'm sure they could if they so desired.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasted wrote:
I know you probably won't want to hear this but: if that is company policy perhaps you might want to consider following it if you wish to keep your current job. It is the company's computer and internet connection and if you are deliberately trying to "circumvent" the system the systems administrator will probably know and management might have a few choice words for you or perhaps some disciplinary measures, up to and including firing. Depends on company policy.

Not saying you shouldn't try what you want to do. Just consider how important to you keeping your job is vs what you want to look at or run via the internet connection at work. At the very least if I were you I'd ask my supervisor what the stance and reasoning was for that decision.

Just my $.02. Please don't take personal offense to it. Our organization does have an electronic communications policy (as do most other organizations). We aren't that strict at enforcing it, but if push came to shove, I'm sure they could if they so desired.

I would agree with this statement as it's not wise to try and bypass security that is there to protect the company as well as focus employees on their job. I can't really promote something that will violate your contract/computer use policy/whatever. Just remember that even if you only think that you can be fired for this, companies take security very seriously and you might be risking a lawsuit. Very small risk of a lawsuit, I'm sure, but it's still there.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: