123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone get occasional audio/vid sync probs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibmini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Anyone get occasional audio/vid sync probs? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Apologies if we've covered this elsewhere...the old brain is getting befuddled me thinks...

I've got a fully updated ATV with no mods and on occasion I find that the audio and video tracks will get out of sync with each other (audio gets ahead) after about 10-15 mins of a movies playing. This mainly happens on handbrake conversions from my personal DVD's. Restarting the ATV sometimes helps, but there is no consistency in it which I find a little weird.

This does not appear to happen when I play the same movie on my mini.

Anyone experienced this, and if so, any ideas for rectifying?

Cheers!
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say that I have seen this issue before with mine. Are you syncing or streaming the file? If streaming you might want to try syncing the file, maybe your network is lagging behind a little.
gibmini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I tried that as I assumed that my wireless network was holding things back, however, I would have expected, if that had been the case, for the streaming movie to stop and start rather than play but with the audio/visual channel falling out of sync with each other.

It still occurs when I've got a local movie. However, it is intermittent so I'm assuming that its not the encode of the movie that is out of whack. Perhaps some delightful weirdness courtesy of the atv software?
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gibmini wrote:
Perhaps some delightful weirdness courtesy of the atv software?

A new undiscovered feature Wink
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gibmini wrote:
I'm assuming that its not the encode of the movie that is out of whack. Perhaps some delightful weirdness courtesy of the atv software?

How are these movies encoded? I found that bumping down the bitrate a tad in HandBrake can actually help with playback.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
gibmini wrote:
I'm assuming that its not the encode of the movie that is out of whack. Perhaps some delightful weirdness courtesy of the atv software?

How are these movies encoded? I found that bumping down the bitrate a tad in HandBrake can actually help with playback.

Agreed! I dropped the average bitrate down to 2000 from 2500. All my movies play/stream without a hitch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

Agreed! I dropped the average bitrate down to 2000 from 2500. All my movies play/stream without a hitch.

That's exactly what I dropped mine to. Smile

I don't see much of a difference in quality when it's on the big screen. It also takes less time encoding them. That's always a plus when you don't have the benjamins to buy a Mac Pro.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I don't see much of a difference in quality when it's on the big screen.

Me either. BTW, they play just fine from a USB drive attached using ATFlash as well. All my friends can't believe that it's playing from a HD either. They swear I have a DVD player stuck in the wall! LOL! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gibmini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

I encoded using handbrake's default ATV setting at 2,500. I'll have a shot at 2,000 (right level for playback on a 42" plasma?) and see if I can replicate the issue.

Can someone explain though why the ATV should not like the 2,500? Is it just that it can't cope?

Cheers again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: