123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue-ray in my mini?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Blue-ray in my mini? Reply with quote

any input? I really wanna watch blue-ray films but an independent player is $299+ and I have a Mac mini so I wanna use the full extent of that.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no blu-ray option at the moment. As far as I know even if you were to get a blu-ray drive working in your Mac the problem would be the software decoding of the blu-ray data.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
There is no blu-ray option at the moment. As far as I know even if you were to get a blu-ray drive working in your Mac the problem would be the software decoding of the blu-ray data.

Cypher is right. Blu-ray laptop drives are available but you could only use it for data as there is no software currently available for mac that allows you to watch Blu-ray Discs.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
fishera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn

I have XP Pro installed in Parallels, would that help? ... and I realized an internal laptop drive would be way to costly for this Mac. But what about an external USB/FW drive? or a 5.25 inch drive in an enclosure case?

My monitor isn't HDCP capable, model right before its support. So would I just get 720p? Or is there a way to bypass this...
ADent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What programs play BluRay under XP?

Cyberlink has a player, a download tester. Looks like it requires more than a GMA950 though.

AnyDVDHD is probably the most likely route - lets you rip the disks. http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html .
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you need an HDCP capable graphics card and monitor to play HD discs under windows. Some on correct me if I'm wrong...
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say they are right..

All though you can purchase blu-ray drives for the mini the only thing you can do is use toast titanium with blu ray support to burn blu ray disk's right now. No playback.

But i would wait anyways before jumping into blu-ray the main reason is this fall sony is releasing blu-ray 2.0 and if you purchase a blu-ray drive now most likely it will not support blu-ray 2.0 features.

So wait don't be in a hurry

But if you are in a hurry you can use bootcamp and blu-ray player software like powerdvd or windvd to play the blu-ray title but.. You cannot because the mac mini has only a 128 meg graphics card and all the blu-ray supported software requires a 256 meg to 512 meg graphics card.
sandor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a PS3 for $399 - it is far and away the best Blu-ray player for the best price.

Most players now are only Profile 1.1, the PS3 is Profile 2, and is the only Blu-ray player to support Blu-ray Live or whatever they call it.

Several manufactures are promising Profile 2 players "soon" but still at around the $500 price point (ie more expensive than the PS3)
fishera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding slim slot loaded burners for the mac mini everywhere all over the net. The cheapest I can find is a little under $600.

Im not sure if I want an independent player or one that works with my Mac. I know Apple hasn't released drivers which really bugs me, but I am a little confused on the boot camp approach.

If I install a blu-ray drive in my mac mini, I have XP installed by the way, and install anydvd or something... I won't be able to play them to my cinema display? Another thing I realized is that I either need software decryption for the HDCP because my monitor doesn't support it, or the HDCP strippers roaming around the market.

Also... why can't I simply find a slot loaded BD reader/DVD-RW/CD-RW? It is like they are trying to force burners on everyone. I see only big 5.25 inch readers/DVD-RW/CD-RW drives. It would be great to burn BD-R but I have no reason to right now except bragging rights and the discs are expensive as it is. I don't even burn 8.9GB DL-DVD's though, I just use 4.7GB discs.

My mini has 2GB of ram, GMA950, a 250GB hard drive, and is hooked up to a 20.1 wide HD display through DVI-D. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am sick of waiting here and regular movies look horrible to me on my monitor, I can't stand a DVD movie as the mini doesn't even up convert the things. Damn. Thanks! Very Happy
jbw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's such a shame that Apple haven't sorted out bluray playback yet. Having spent a little time looking into this the only way I see this working is to grab an external USB/Firewire blu-ray drive and bootcamp windows with anydvd hd and Power DVD.

Anydvd hd will remove encryption (AACS), remove BD+ copy protection, remove region codes and let you watch without HDCP compliant graphics card or display.

I've yet to try it... or convince the mrs that it's money well spent. Shocked

Even so a ps3 is probably the best solution at this time.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Apple really want to include Blu-ray players when it's trying to steer us all towards its movie rentals business? Just a thought...
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Would Apple really want to include Blu-ray players when it's trying to steer us all towards its movie rentals business? Just a thought...

Apple will support Blu-ray at some point but when is any bodys guess.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
sendmeone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone been able to get the mac mini to play ripped blu-ray content with the Intel 945 graphics card?
ADent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=548905
sendmeone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have all my movies ripped into my nas and would like to stream my movies from my mac mini. May you please explain the process
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: