123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airport Extreme base Station: Better than Linksys or Not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Airport Extreme base Station: Better than Linksys or Not? Reply with quote

I have a Linksys WRT54G, and I am fed up with it. I lose my internet connection 2-3 times daily. If I turn off the modem and the router, then turn them back on, my connection returns. If I hook up to just the modem, everything is fine. I bought another identical linksys router (and returned the old one) and it behave exactly the same.

I thought, F this, I am just going to get an airport extreme base station. But, i just looked at the reviews for it on Apples web site, and it seems to be just as unreliable as the linksys routers are.

Anyone have any advice for me on this? I don't want to shell out 2 bills and still have a flaky internet connection.

BTW, what I am needing to achieve is having a mac mini and a Linux/XP box hooked up to the router via Gigabit ethernet, and two Macbook pros connecting wirelessly.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

It depends since Linksys are great for tweaking and can be tweaked by any OS with a web browser, AirPort is great for simplicity and the only router I know of that has printer sharing through its USB port.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: well Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
It depends since Linksys are great for tweaking and can be tweaked by any OS with a web browser, AirPort is great for simplicity and the only router I know of that has printer sharing through its USB port.

Yeah, it sounds good on paper, but reading the reviews on the Apple website, it seems that the USB port on the AEBS is pretty much non-functional, especially for printers. If by "tweaking" you mean having to unplug it to get it to work, I think I'll take the simplicity.

Surely there are some folks here on 123MM that are using an AEBS that could give me some feedback about their personal experiences? Guys?
Influx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same linksys router that you do, and experienced the same problems. I upgraded to the AEBS and haven't had any issues at all, except having to reboot it every now and again, on average, maybe 3 or 4 times a month? The linksys had to be rebooted at least 3 times as much as that, and even more when I was downloading torrents.

I found that the AEBS was faster, both in between networked computers as well as internet speeds. The internet speed doesn't make sense to me, but I can tell you it does feel faster. I haven't tried hooking a printer or an external drive to it yet however.

I am on a VDSL connection using PPPOE.

We are putting in a point of sale terminal next week, I hope my opinion of it doesn't change after that!
Mac user since Aug 27 1956
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be the exception, I've been using an AEBS for about 2 years now, with a printer and a Raid1 Time Machine backup drive connected to the USB port.
I've had absolutely no problems with connection speed or reliability, and my printer and backup drive are always there when needed.
I have 3 computers, 1 is connected via ethernet and 2 are wireless, all work flawlessly.

jb.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me explain my hell.

I purchased a linksys router no issues.

Comcast decided where sorry but you can no longer use linksys routers where you live at with your connection.

Boy was i mad.

So i went to netgear the netgear lasted about 8 months not even a year before it overheated and fried.

So i found a killer router it is a Belkin g plus mimo router you can pickup this router for $49.99 at Target. To tell you how fast this router is before connecting wireless to my nintendo wii and my mac mini my connection was slower then snot because of the garbage router.

After my connection is so fast that i had the nintendo wii shop channel crash the wireless card in the wii couldn't keep up.

How ever the mac mini is the speedest mother i have ever surfed the internet on.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
I must be the exception, I've been using an AEBS for about 2 years now, with a printer and a Raid1 Time Machine backup drive connected to the USB port.
I've had absolutely no problems with connection speed or reliability, and my printer and backup drive are always there when needed.
I have 3 computers, 1 is connected via ethernet and 2 are wireless, all work flawlessly.

jb.

Thanks JB, That's the kind of reassurance that I was wanting to hear! If you look on eBay, there are hundreds of AEBSs that were "returns at a major electronic retailer". After reading the Apple reviews, I figured they were probably returned because of their un-reliability, just like my linksys. I guess I need to just take the plunge, and see how it pans out for me. I'll likely buy it with applecare, or get it at best buy with the extended warranty for easy returnability.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a WRT54g v 8.0 and while the range isn't as good compared to the last one we had that bricked it's reliable and has only been rebooted when the power went out so only 3 times this year. Linksys is usually better with their higher end products as long as people don't expect to set it up and have it work all the time or think that the included software is the right way to set up a Linksys router.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
miniconvert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like you need to adjust some settings on your router. If you have a 2.4Ghz wireless phone, get rid of it. Buy a 900Mhz or 5Ghz model instead. Next, change the channel to something other than 6. If you're in an area with a lot of routers there is a very good chance you are getting interference. Upgrade the firmware if you haven't. I rarely reboot my wireless routers, nobody should.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniconvert wrote:
Sounds more like you need to adjust some settings on your router. If you have a 2.4Ghz wireless phone, get rid of it. Buy a 900Mhz or 5Ghz model instead. Next, change the channel to something other than 6. If you're in an area with a lot of routers there is a very good chance you are getting interference. Upgrade the firmware if you haven't. I rarely reboot my wireless routers, nobody should.

Believe me, I've tried it all. Sometimes changing the channel will SEEM to work, but not for very long. No Wireless phones, and only one other router within distance. I just bought this router last week(after f-ing with the other identical model for months), so I assume that the firmware should be recent enough for it to work right.
aj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've tried Linksys and found much the same issues as everyone else here.

I haven't tried the Airport option, but I can recommend Zyxel Prestige 600 series if you're looking for a rock solid wireless router. I'm not sure if they have a model with gigabit ethernet though/

We have dozens of them in use and they never seem to have issues.

This is a PPPoA router though, I'm not sure if that's suitable to your application.
albireo13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same Linksys router and had the exact same problem, last year. At the time I had DSL service using a non-Linksys DSL modem.
I had been advised that it was an incompatibility between the DSL modem box and the Linksys box.

I have since switched to cable internet service. I bought a Linksys cable modem and am still using the original Linksys wireless router.
Problem solved !!! Only one hang in the last 6 months and that was on the ISP side !!!

I would look into a different internet modem.

Rob
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on getting another modem as well. Problem is, It seems like they only make two freakin' modems! One, the Motorola Surfboard that I have, and the other, a Linksys all-in-one modem/router. Anyone know of a higher end modem that is NOT made by Linksys, available in the US? I sure can't seem to find one.

This is waaaay out of hand. I am having to unplug everything like 12 times a day now to maintain an internet connection.
miniconvert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opensky42 wrote:
I plan on getting another modem as well. Problem is, It seems like they only make two freakin' modems! One, the Motorola Surfboard that I have, and the other, a Linksys all-in-one modem/router. Anyone know of a higher end modem that is NOT made by Linksys, available in the US? I sure can't seem to find one.

This is waaaay out of hand. I am having to unplug everything like 12 times a day now to maintain an internet connection.

holy crap, that's terrible. Is it plugged into any sort of battery backup by chance?
albireo13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Linksys model #BEFCMU10 cable modem.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: