123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desktop setup thoughts . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Desktop setup thoughts . . . Reply with quote

I recently got rid of my Macbook (wife has my "old' MacBook Pro), and have been running with a 17" G5 iMac as my sole OS X system. I'm a virtualization geek, so I wanted/needed something to tide me over until I decide what new Mac to purchase. So, I picked up a Dell desktop from Best Buy this weekend. They have a great deal on a quad-core system right now, 2.4Ghz Core2Quad, 6 GB ram, 640 GB hard drive, dual layer dvd burner, etc. I usually piece together my own PC's, but the price was simply too good to pass up (~$700).

I have it hooked up to my trusty 21" CRT right now. Running 64-bit Ubuntu, giving me my virtualization fix with virtualbox. Decided to ditch the KVM and share keyboard and mouse with the G5 via Synergy...and I have to say I'm really liking this setup.

I'm thinking of, ultimately, mirroring this setup with a new 24" iMac and swapping out my 21" CRT with a 24" LCD.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is a lot of hardware for the $. Another example of Apple missing the boat on offering a consumer level tower.

So are you running Ubuntu on top os Vista or the other way around. Vista on top of Ubuntu? How hard is it to put OS X on PC hardware (licensing agreements aside)?

Also why the love for virtualization vs. multiple boot environments? Can you drag an drop, share files etc. right within one environment? Again would OS X apply? I realize you can do this with Parallels within OS X, but is virtualization the open source answer to doing all of this on a budget PC?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
So are you running Ubuntu on top os Vista or the other way around. Vista on top of Ubuntu?

Who said anything about Vista? Wink

The system runs Ubuntu natively and I use VirtualBox (which is my virtualization software of choice under OS X as well) to run various other Linux distro's, some work-related, proprietary OS's (mostly UNIX -based), and some occasional nasty instances for testing active directory integration.

Bandit Bill wrote:
How hard is it to put OS X on PC hardware (licensing agreements aside)?

There are complete iso's "around" you can download and install OS X natively on PC hardware. I always keep something around to run OS X, so I have no need (and OS X is a want to have for me anyways...not a need.)

Bandit Bill wrote:
Also why the love for virtualization vs. multiple boot environments?

You can't really test interoperability between several operating systems/environments without having them run at the same time. The point (for me) is to be able to fire up three or four virtual machines and test various functionality between them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a monster setup for the price iMav. Congrats.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how will you set up the iMac? There is a virtualization program (Mac-on-Linux) that would let you run OSX within Linux, but at present, it doesn't work on newer versions of Ubuntu. It does work on Debian Etch and openSUSE 11.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
So how will you set up the iMac? There is a virtualization program (Mac-on-Linux) that would let you run OSX within Linux, but at present, it doesn't work on newer versions of Ubuntu. It does work on Debian Etch and openSUSE 11.

The new iMac would be setup the same way the G5 is now. Sitting right next to my linux box's display, sharing keyboard and mouse via Synergy. (cutting and pasting between the two is nice)

As I mentioned before, I don't have a virtualization need for OS X. It makes a fine host for VM's, and I enjoy having OS X around...

With the quad-core being upgradeable to 8GB of ram (currently has 6), I can stop flirting with the idea of buying a Mac Pro (ram is everything when it comes to running a ton of VM's and the 4GB limitation of my MacBook/MBP's gave me issues from time to time with my more elaborate testing).

So far, this is the best dual-head setup I've had. And it will be even better once it's 2 x 24". Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: