123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple's use of hard drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Apple's use of hard drives Reply with quote

So it seems, after much wading through threads, many people discuss what type/size/speed hard drives Apple uses in their products. It made me think:

"Where is the computer/media storage market going?"

Let's take a look at current models.

MacMini 2.5" hard drive 5400 rpm
iMac 3.5" hard drive 7200 rpm
MacPro 3.5" hard drive 7200 or 10000 rpm
MacBook 2.5" hard drive 5400 rpm
MacBookPro 2.5" hard drive 5400 or 7200 rpm
MacBookAir 1.8" hard drive 4200 rpm (See "SSD" Below)(Thanks Ben_Tex!)

AppleTV 2.5" hard drive 4200 rpm (should note it's IDE as well)
TimeCapsule 3.5" hard drive 7200 rpm

iPod Classic 1.8" hard drive (I don't know the speed one would assume 4200 rpm)

On to SSD uses

All other iPods - Shuffle, Nano, Touch

and. . .

The iPhone.
As well as an option in the MacbookAir

So what's all this mean?

IMHO, I think we'll see SSD eventually (the next 5 to 10 years) become the standard. All the heat, noise issues will be all but gone. Speed will almost be a non-issue. Devices/Machines will become smaller.

In the mean time, it looks as though the 2.5" hard drive will pave the way for SSD's. 3.5" hard drives will be the first to take the plunge.

Am I way off base here?

What's your take on the situation?

Last edited by hackersmovie on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. IIRC, the swap files of modern operating systems still pose a problem for SSDs whose flash memory cells wear out after a limited number of write cycles.

Could a hybrid mechanical/flash memory HDD be the answer? Or would it be simpler if computers had so much RAM that they didn't need to use the HDD as virtual memory?

Or could the same result be gained by (gasp!) making the OS smaller/more efficient? Hey! Wait a minute! Is that the thinking behind Snow Leopard? Shocked Make the OS run totally within RAM (just as Windows is getting even more bloated) so that an SSD can be used for storage without worrying that a swap file is going to wear the darn thing out in 3 months.

Hackersmovie, you might be onto something here.....
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: The MacBook Air uses a 1.8" PATA drive @ 4200RPM.

Random thoughts, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the iMac switch to a 2.5" drive over the next 2 to 3 years. I also think they should switch the Apple TV to SATA ASAP. I know that Hackers would agree with me on that one. Smile
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
... I also think they should switch the Apple TV to SATA ASAP. I know that Hackers would agree with me on that one. Smile

Absolutely! And a bit off topic, they need Gigabit Ethernet on the darn thing too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking SSD's as a standard with in two years.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I'm thinking SSD's as a standard with in two years.

I hope so, but prices will have to fall off a cliff. Which doesn't seem impossible when you look at other flash products. That being said, the capacities will also have to be respectable at the lower price.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Ben_Tex wrote:
... I also think they should switch the Apple TV to SATA ASAP. I know that Hackers would agree with me on that one. Smile

Absolutely! And a bit off topic, they need Gigabit Ethernet on the darn thing too!

Might be the stripped down OS, if you look at stripped down forms of Linux there isn't SATA support in some of them (especially the really small distros like DSL and Puppy).

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: