123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just thinking out loud...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Just thinking out loud... Reply with quote

So I have been happy with my AppleTV waiting to add a Mini into the setup and I started think about what was coming next.

I know there has been a lot of talk about Apple dropping the mini, obviously since the thing hasn't ben updated for over a year now. The AppleTV is in the same boat but even longer for update. Yes it has had an OS update and added a 160GB version, but in hardware terms (excluding the hard drive) it is the same machine it was when released.

Now enter the rumors of a new mini design change. What I am thinking is that Apple is going to merge the two together and offer new top of the line AppleTV. Just think of it as new Mini but with the added features of the AppleTV including HD rentals and the HDMI output Very Happy I can only wish for a Blu-ray drive Rolling Eyes (come on Apple, how long have you been on the Blu-ray board and haven't released anything that uses it)

I am sure that this has been talked about before on the web but the longer both units go without updates, the more likely I think this might actually happen. Just think we would then be able to actually turn off the thing without having to unplug it, or put it into a real sleep mode Cool
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think they will keep the products separate. But a new Mac mini with Blu-ray and HDMI would be totally sweet, especially if it can dual boot. Meaning into an Apple TV 2.0 or Leopard. The problem here is pricing. The Apple TV doesn't require much hardware wise, but people want something a little more powerful on the desktop. I just don't see how that works out in the end. Apple already seems hesitate to update the Mac mini in fear of it cannibalizing other Mac sales. How would they ever release a little Atom type box that runs Leopard for $199?
iLife's a Bitch!
usarcher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Personally, I think they will keep the products separate. But a new Mac mini with Blu-ray and HDMI would be totally sweet, especially if it can dual boot. Meaning into an Apple TV 2.0 or Leopard. The problem here is pricing. The Apple TV doesn't require much hardware wise, but people want something a little more powerful on the desktop. I just don't see how that works out in the end. Apple already seems hesitate to update the Mac mini in fear of it cannibalizing other Mac sales. How would they ever release a little Atom type box that runs Leopard for $199?

I hear what your saying. I was thinking that they would keep this new mini in its current price point but still offer the cheaper Apple TV for people that don't want/need a full computer built in.

Maybe I am just thinking this because its what I really want to happen, but it would be really nice of Apple Wink

One other thing that the rumor sites have picked back up on is iTunes Unlimited service. Not that I would be up for this when it comes to music but if they can get movies/tv shows in there, that would be awesome. Keep in mind Steve has only said no to music rentals, no stance claimed for video. Apple has to step up its game with Netflix being added to so many devices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: