123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netbooks. Anyone else intrigued?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Netbooks. Anyone else intrigued? Reply with quote

So, I've been reading Engadget and Gizmodo for several years. Lately, they've been covering a lot of different brand/sizes of these "Netbooks". Tiny portable machines with all the specs of a Macbook Air including sans optical drives.

Anyone else interested?

Which one would you buy, if you could or wanted to?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell is supposedly coming out with their Netbooks today. They are having some press event or something in India. That being said, I would go with the Asus Eee PC 1000h if I were a buyer today. I like its features and styling the best. Next on my list would be the MSI Wind.
iLife's a Bitch!
nickh2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a month or 2 i had an asus eee 7", lets just say, they look alot cooler than youd think, i mean its great to have a "laptop" thats that freakin small, but i found that it was a painful task to web browse, and typing was really difficult, it was just all around cramped. i going on my iphone and browsing the internet easier. for the price point they are not bad, but from my point, i thought it was just too small, and the novelty quickly wore off
Iphone 8gb
Red Ipod nano 4th gen 4gb
CHECK IT OUT
great file hosting/sharing site www.host-a.net
Ipod Master
jhkingsr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an eeepc 701 and just bought a 1000h. The 1000h is the ideal size for me. 10" screen and 92% full sized keyboad.

It has a 2.5" SATA hard drive and makes upgrading easy. In fact I've upgraded to 2gb of ram and a 160gb WD Scorpio 7200rpm drive is delivering today.

3 usb 2.0 ports, wireless n, bluetooth, sd card reader, and 1.3mp webcam is a great package. Also has VGA out if you want to use a desktop backup. Windows XP Home is standard and I'm having to reacquaint myself after going "OSX only" at home three years ago.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhkingsr wrote:
I've got an eeepc 701 and just bought a 1000h. The 1000h is the ideal size for me. 10" screen and 92% full sized keyboad.

It has a 2.5" SATA hard drive and makes upgrading easy. In fact I've upgraded to 2gb of ram and a 160gb WD Scorpio 7200rpm drive is delivering today.

3 usb 2.0 ports, wireless n, bluetooth, sd card reader, and 1.3mp webcam is a great package. Also has VGA out if you want to use a desktop backup. Windows XP Home is standard and I'm having to reacquaint myself after going "OSX only" at home three years ago.

Any chance of making one of these little beauties a "hackintosh"? If so, I may be really interested.

Of course, Linux is a good alternative but, I'd prefer OSX of some flavor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Any chance of making one of these little beauties a "hackintosh"? If so, I may be really interested.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/16/man_hacks_osx_onto_wind/

Scooper's already ordered an MSI Wind, but it's taking its time getting to him. Once it arrives, I think he might be waving a Leopard DVD in its general direction... Wink
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhkingsr wrote:

I almost bought one the other day. They are really nice in person. It also looks easy to pop the bottom off and upgrade.

hackersmovie wrote:

Of course, Linux is a good alternative but, I'd prefer OSX of some flavor.

I saw a video on YouTube. With the exception of sound, everything appears to be working with the 1000h.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfZ0cPoZFY
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hackers I'm with you on this one. I don't really care about the ethics or legality issues of it. I just need a small form factor machine that "just works"
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I almost bought one the other day. They are really nice in person. It also looks easy to pop the bottom off and upgrade.

Where did you see it in person?

devo wrote:
I saw a video on YouTube. With the exception of sound, everything appears to be working with the 1000h.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfZ0cPoZFY

I'll have to wait until there is a full proof, or close to it, solution before I plunk down $500 for a machine that may work the way I want. . .
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Hackers I'm with you on this one. I don't really care about the ethics or legality issues of it. I just need a small form factor machine that "just works"

Ya know, it's funny. When the Macbook Air was first released I thought "that's only for people that travel quite a bit, a small demographic"

Now, I think, geez, I really could use a more portable machine for daily duties.

Mainly being, web browsing, email, photos, etc.

Anyone see one of these little beauties dual booting?

I currently am using a base model Macbook for work. I have XP installed with bootcamp but, use it with VMWare Fusion. Something along those lines would be great, if not, I could transfer all my XP stuff over to the Netbook and use it that way.

Ugh, still no real way around Microsoft. . .
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was interested, but then figured for the money I could build a decent desktop.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
I was interested, but then figured for the money I could build a decent desktop.

Not exactly apples and oranges there Dungeon. A Netbook (ultra portable) to a Desktop (basically a boat anchor). . .
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:

Not exactly apples and oranges there Dungeon. A Netbook (ultra portable) to a Desktop (basically a boat anchor). . .

Well I was planning on getting one after I get a MacBook, but then thought about it and couldn't really justify it since most of the time I'm away from home I'm either driving to do something or doing said thing or at school which I wouldn't mind having one for, but wouldn't really use it since I can write fast enough, and as a plus in a random test of one class only one in five other students can read my writing, so my pencil has built in encryption Very Happy Laughing .

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone care to post some pics of your little beauty? I'm looking for some size comparison shots.

Thanks.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Where did you see it in person?

At a coffee shop and J&R in NYC. The 1000h really is an attractive little thing. It's glossy and matte black with silver accents. The screen quality and track/touch pad were also nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: