123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer Aspire One netbook
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfuerst1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i looked at one at Circuit City yesterday and i have to say... possible christmas present Wink

by the way can you upgrade the ram easily or do you have to take it apart?
apple bluetooth wireless mouse
apple aluminum keyboard
22 inch Samsung Display
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfuerst1 wrote:

The open ram slot is on the bottom of the motherboard...however, there is no corresponding access area on the bottom of the case. So you have to take it significantly apart to upgrade the ram.

Not difficult if you take your time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still no wired internet connection.

I went into the connection preferences and changed the automatic setting from DCHP to manual, entering all my IP and DNS server numbers. Now I get a green checkmark saying I've got a connection but it still will not connect nor will it connect to Acer's automatic updates server. THIS SUCKS.

I'm going to take it over to the McDonald's just down the street later this morning to see if I can get a Wi-Fi connection. The wireless switch is on and it's detecting 2 networks (obviously neighbors).

I'm really disappointed. There is no reason that this machine shouldn't connect with the ethernet hardwire.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your home connection have a WPA/WPA2 or WEP setting? Perhaps you have to enter this information somehow. You could test this by removing the encryption.

Does the Aspire One come with a version of Linux? If so, it may not come automatically with the software you need to connect to a WPA/WPA2 network. The name of the program used on most flavours of Linux is wpa_supplicant. If you can get a connection, check the software updater to see if it is on your computer and if not, get it from whatever repository your Linux distro uses.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Does your home connection have a WPA/WPA2 or WEP setting? Perhaps you have to enter this information somehow. You could test this by removing the encryption.

Does the Aspire One come with a version of Linux? If so, it may not come automatically with the software you need to connect to a WPA/WPA2 network. The name of the program used on most flavours of Linux is wpa_supplicant. If you can get a connection, check the software updater to see if it is on your computer and if not, get it from whatever repository your Linux distro uses.

He's trying to get the wired LAN connection to work. AFAIK, he doesn't have wireless at home (which is why he is going to go down to McDonalds and try the wireless there).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood that, but I'm not sure whether or not wpa_supplicant is specific to wireless. But now that I think about it, no version of Linux I have ever tried seems to have a problem picking up the ethernet connection to my Time Capsule "out of the box", which is wpa2 protected. I don't even remember having to enter any passwords to get it working. Still, it could be either a software or a hardware problem, and I would do what The Pontificator is doing before messing with anything else. But whether the MacDonald's connection works or not, I would try the hard wire again after removing the encryption features. If it doesn't work then, I would be sure there's something wrong with the hardware.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to McD's and yes, I can pick up wireless....effortlessly. I did receive notification that THIRTY SIX updates were available which took about 10-15 minutes to download. All sorts of patches. Let's hope one of these fixes the problem.

Someone asked me if it were possible that my cable modem might possibly be non-DHCP compatible and further mentioned that he didn't think that was the case. Probably not, because if it were I wouldn't have been able to instantly connect my (now old) HP desktop nor my Mac Mini as effortless as I have done.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And...I still cannot connect via LAN.

I sent Acer Support an email request on this problem.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pain to have this happen to a new computer! Sad

What your test shows is that you can get wireless, but not whether your ethernet problem is hardware or software. If you try removing any encryption protection from your home network and seeing if it works then would determine if the problem is related to encryption. (In which case, you can fix it without having to take your laptop in for service.) Alternatively, you could try connecting your Acer to a friend's network or any unprotected network. If it doesn't work, you can rule out a problem with encryption, but it is still possible that a firewall in your setup is blocking communication through the port. There is a way to change such settings, but I don't know enough about it to know how to tell you to do this. I suspect that Acer will have you check all these things to rule out a software problem before they take your computer in for service.

I hope your problem is resolved soon. Keep us posted.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an email from Acer this afternoon and upon reading it more closely I see that it is NOT a known issue. They asked me to call them.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST SLAP ME.

It was simply a matter of powering down and rebooting the cable modem. The AA1 works just fine. Embarassed
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfuerst1 wrote:

I found a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EfzckyZMTk
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six weeks into purchase I'd say that overall I'm pleased with the AAO's performance.

There's been a few glitches mainly with the media player (Media Master) but Acer has provided a number of upgrades/patches to deal with this and a few other issues. The media player still isn't glitch-free but it's vastly improved.

Unless you're a linux pro my advice is to LEAVE IT STOCK AND LEAVE IT ALONE. People seem to run into trouble when they try to upgrade the Firefox browser to a newer version or try to chage the desktop view from the default 'simple' to 'normal'. Or add applications.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some forums: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
Six weeks into purchase I'd say that overall I'm pleased with the AAO's performance.

There's been a few glitches mainly with the media player (Media Master) but Acer has provided a number of upgrades/patches to deal with this and a few other issues. The media player still isn't glitch-free but it's vastly improved.

Unless you're a linux pro my advice is to LEAVE IT STOCK AND LEAVE IT ALONE. People seem to run into trouble when they try to upgrade the Firefox browser to a newer version or try to chage the desktop view from the default 'simple' to 'normal'. Or add applications.

I wouldn't even keep the preloaded Linux on their, I think I'll just get a Hard drive version and load Ubuntu.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: