123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My iMac HD crashed, first ever!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: My iMac HD crashed, first ever! Reply with quote

So, I'm in the middle of resyncing my ATV this evening and my HD gave up the ghost! It was kinda weird, the machine just locked up so I forced it to shut down and it just wouldn't boot again. I booted from the optical drive and ran disk utility and it said the drive reported a fatal error! Thank goodness I had a spare 250GB SATA HD laying around! Popped it in and about an hour later (after reinstalling Leopard, restoring from TM, etc) I was back up and running!

Try that with a PC! (it may be possible, just not that easy!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: My iMac HD crashed, first ever! Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
So, I'm in the middle of resyncing my ATV this evening and my HD gave up the ghost! It was kinda weird, the machine just locked up so I forced it to shut down and it just wouldn't boot again. I booted from the optical drive and ran disk utility and it said the drive reported a fatal error! Thank goodness I had a spare 250GB SATA HD laying around! Popped it in and about an hour later (after reinstalling Leopard, restoring from TM, etc) I was back up and running!

Try that with a PC! (it may be possible, just not that easy!)

Using GParted and Clonezilla live CD maybe, but with large partitions it would take more than an hour and would require you manually made the initial backup image that could be outdated quite a bit depending on how often you back it up (for me that's a once a month operation and in a month I could accumulate some important data during school).
BTW to back up my 32.2GB Windows partition on my laptop to a USB external HDD it takes around 90 minutes, the 5GB Linux partition is like 10-20 minutes, never time that one usually do it before getting ready for bed and it's done by the time I'm done which is 10-20 minutes.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
miniconvert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story. Talk about "try this with a PC"

Last night I decided to pull the 80GB drive with Tiger from my old G3 iMac so I could put it in my MDD. I pulled the drive out and put it in the MDD then put a 20GB drive into the iMac. I brought the MDD up on the iMac's 80GB drive, booted perfectly! (1st try that with a PC moment). Then I booted the iMac to target mode (2nd try that with a PC moment) and using carbon copy cloner I cloned the 80GB drive to the 20GB drive in the iMac. Once it was done I rebooted the iMac normally and got a ? folder followed by the OS X load screen (3rd try that with a PC moment).

I was so utterly impressed how smooth the entire process went. It was a system recovery dream. It is such a PITA to do the same thing with Windows, if you can get away with it at all, and even then it only works on the same computer (activation, drivers, etc)
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i'm confused, when you say do that with a PC, meaning using Windows or Linux?

As dungeon92 mention, using something like Partimage, I can clone my Linux system back to a different hard drive in less than 30 mins, and up and running.
miniconvert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
Now i'm confused, when you say do that with a PC, meaning using Windows or Linux?

As dungeon92 mention, using something like Partimage, I can clone my Linux system back to a different hard drive in less than 30 mins, and up and running.

I was poking more fun at Windows than Linux. Linux is a bit more flexible and I used to use partimage in the past for both Windows and Linux. I gave up on it because of some seriously slow transfer issues I started to run into with the latest releases (at the time). Partimage is pretty good but last I checked it didn't deal with smaller (than original) drives at all and larger drives would lose space.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partimage doesn't back up empty space and no, you can't install 40gb into 20gb drive space. But you can add the image to same or larger size space/drive.

To reclaim space after restoring your image with partimage, with linux anyway, just use command 'resize2fs'. That should do it.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive Death! Reply with quote

I've been using computers for 10 years now & have never had a hard drive die until last month. I had 3 hard drives die in a month. a Quantum Fireball & 2 Maxtor's. These were all PC hard drives. Guess I'll continue buying Western Digital, as I've never seen one die as of yet. I hope i never do. I have 3 WD externals and 4 WD hard drives in PC's.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wedge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard Drive Death! Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
I had 3 hard drives die in a month. a Quantum Fireball & 2 Maxtor's.

The only hard drive I've ever seen live up to its name was a Quantum Fireball. I saw one from an iMac G3 literally start smoking as one of the chips fried itself. However, the tech working on it was able to save the important data while it was smoking and before it completely died. I wish I had video of it!
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge,

That is quite a story. I wish you had a video of it as well. Smile Anyway, yea Quantum Fireball would not be first choice for a hard drive. Again, I've never had a Western Digital fail. It's funny I went to the only Apple Authorized Service Center in my little one horse town & the guy in there tells me all Western Digital Drives are crap. I only go by my experience. And i my experience, I trust them. Up to a Point of course. Smile

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: