123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doggie Cam Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Doggie Cam Project Reply with quote

Ok, so I got this idea from looking at a possible boarding place...

Our two dogs stay in the "Office" all day long. It would be nice to check in on them every now and then to see what they are up too. Since the house has an alarm with "motion" sensors they have to stay in the "Office" yes, those motion sensors can be de-tuned for pets, but one of the two dogs will tear stuff up anyway, so they both get shut in a 10x10 room all day...

What equipment would I need? Would it be possible to run this through my Mac Mini? Spec's are refurb 2.0, 1gig ram, 120gig hard drive, hard drive is about 1/2 full, I think...

Being that we live in Memphis, it would be nice to make sure they do not get too hot. I was thinking about putting a digital thermometer on the wall where it could be viewed from the camera. Plus, if I try to check the camera and cant, then that would be an indication that the power is off for some reason. We have a programmable thermostat that raises the temp to 82 during the times we are not home. 82 should be fine, however, that room is one of the "hottest" in the house, I'm concerned that it might get too hot in there...

All help appreciated, first step, I guess, would be a camera. Google showed me a logitec that doesn't say it IS compatible with mac, but people report that it is, cost of $99. Next step, software?

Thanks!

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
Krametash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Sounds like a good idea, though I'm afraid I don't know much about this sort of thing..... Sad
Post up some results if you are successful, and I'll keep an eye out for software, etc. If I find anything I shall let you know Very Happy
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: