123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates the Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Apple Updates the Mac mini Reply with quote

Apple Updates Mac mini
Tuesday June 26, 2005

Apple has announced upgrades to its Mac mini line of computers. The Mac mini line now boasts 512MB memory standard in every model, as well as models with built-in wireless and SuperDrive. The Mac mini comes in three models: 1.25GHz G4/512MB RAM/40GB HD/Combo Drive for $499, 1.42GHz G4/512MB RAM/80GB HD/Combo Drive/Built-inAirport Extreme and Bluetooth for $599, and 1.42GHz G4/512MB RAM/80GB HD/Super Drive/Built-in Airport Extreme and Bluetooth for $699. Apple also updated its iBook line of computers with a 12" 1.33GHz G4/512MB RAM/40GB HD/Combo Drive for $999 and a 14" 1.42GHz G4/512MB RAM/60GB HD/Super Drive for $1299.

Apple Press Release - "Mac mini has been a popular choice for consumers getting started with Mac OS X and iLife '05," said David Moody, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With double the memory and new features like built-in wireless networking and DVD burning, the new Mac mini delivers an even greater value in an innovative compact design." The Mac mini lineup includes three models: 1.25 GHz Mac mini, 1.42 GHz Mac mini and the new 1.42 GHz Mac mini with SuperDrive for burning DVDs and CDs. The Mac mini with SuperDrive is the most affordable Mac for quickly and easily creating your own professional quality DVDs using iLife '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications. The top two models of the Mac mini now include built-in AirPort Extreme for 54 Mbps 802.11g fast wireless networking* along with an internal Bluetooth module. With wireless networking, customers can place Mac mini almost anywhere and still have fast, convenient access to the Internet. Built-in Bluetooth enables cable-free communication with Bluetooth-equipped mobile phones and PDAs as well as popular peripherals such as the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.

Just two inches tall and weighing only 2.9 pounds, Mac mini redefines design for the sub-$1,000 desktop, and allows users the flexibility to choose their display, mouse and keyboard. Mac mini includes one FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports for easy plug-and-play connections to popular peripherals such as Apple's market-leading iPod digital music player, digital still cameras, digital video camcorders and printers. Mac mini offers a DVI interface that also supports VGA so customers can easily connect to a variety of LCD or CRT displays and built-in 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet.

Every Mac mini includes iLife '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand(TM) and iTunes. iLife '05 continues to lead the industry with the most innovative and comprehensive suite of software for organizing, editing and sharing digital photos; creating stunning digital movies and DVDs; and purchasing, managing and creating digital music.

Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger" is pre-installed on every Mac mini and delivers more than 200 new features and innovations including Spotlight(TM), a revolutionary desktop search technology that lets users instantly find anything stored on their Mac, including documents, emails, contacts and images; and Dashboard, a new way to instantly access important information like weather forecasts and stock quotes, using a dazzling new class of applications called widgets. Mac mini also comes with a collection of outstanding productivity and entertainment titles designed to meet the needs of the entire family, including Quicken 2005 for Mac, Nanosaur 2 and MarbleBlast Gold."

The 1.25 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $499 (US), includes:
- 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 processor
- 512MB of 333 MHz DDR SDRAM, expandable to 1GB
- 40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
- Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive
- ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB video memory
- One FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports
- 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet networking and 56K V.92 modem
- Internal support for AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth
- DVI or VGA out (adapter included), composite/S-video out with optional adapter
- Built-in speaker and headphone/line out

The 1.42 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $599 (US), includes:
- 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 processor
- 80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
- Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive
- 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet networking
- Built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth
- DVI or VGA out (adapter included), composite/S-video out with optional adapter

The 1.42 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $699 (US), includes:
- 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 processor
- 80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
- SuperDrive (DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive
- 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet networking
- Built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/333.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:49 am; edited 4 times in total
bsnoel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Mini did not get that much of an update it was more or less repackaged. I know that this will disappoint some Mini enthusiasts that wanted a graphics card upgrade. Still, Apple has managed to make the Mac Mini an even better value than ever before. This new package offers a significant increase in the bang for the buck offered by the Mini and it should manage to entice more switchers over from the dark side.

The iBook is a different story; I think Apple has made significant improvements in both features and the bundle offered. I think the iBook is going to start flying off the shelves just in time for back-to-school.

Overall, I would say Apple has made two brilliant moves.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. This should help get more people that were holding off to jump off the fence. If they only would've done the video. I had a feeling this was coming last night! The iBook got the ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 is that Core Image capable?
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These updates seem to be modest updates at most. There isn't much that the second generation Mac Mini is offering that most of us here at 123macmini haven't already done or could do for ourselves such as the memory upgrade or the addition of the airport and bluetooth. Although the price is attractive for what you get I don't think many of us will move to the 2g Mini and leave the 1g Mini behind.

I think that Apple missed a key issue by not increasing the video capability of the Mini. I think that the videocard is the weakest link in the armor of the Mini do to the large amount of people that would like play more graphics intensive games or other programs that require the increased video capability.

I do believe that a boost in the videocard won't come until Apple is able to redesign and release the logicboard to use the Intel processor. There is no sense in redesigning the board twice do to the cost of development. The upgrade to watch for is the 3g Mini and I think that it will be introduced at the MacWorld Conference in January of next year with the increased video and the Intel processor running at 2ghz.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys see they cut the modem?
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:

It is still included in the base $499 model!

Optional 56k Internal Modem = $29 for the top 2 models!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:

They could be making some room for s-video or more ports in the next REAL Mac mini update.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
curt wrote:

They could be making some room for s-video or more ports in the next REAL Mac mini update.

Which will include an Intel CPU. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yoshihide K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
The iBook got the ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 is that Core Image capable?

No, I don't think it is.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/
Take a look at the "Hardware Support" section.

I hope Apple got the dim-video problem fixed...
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it did. I've never heard of that chip.
Katya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think that this is the first and last mac mini update before the Mactels come out? I'm just curious... Question
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katya wrote:
Do you guys think that this is the first and last mac mini update before the Mactels come out? I'm just curious... Question

I don't think there will be any main board changes to the Rev A mini until an Intel-mini comes out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katya wrote:

Yes, if you call this an update Wink

This will be the last update before the Intel Mac minis come out.
iLife's a Bitch!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thought Apple would upgrade the video card! What do you think the reasons are for them not upgrading the video....

Apple didn't want to retool before Intel?

Other chipsets caused too much heat?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
The upgrade to watch for is the 3g Mini and I think that it will be introduced at the MacWorld Conference in January of next year with the increased video and the Intel processor running at 2ghz.

Apple has already stated that there will be no Intel Macs before June 2006.

I suspect that the reason for the lack of a video upgrade is 3-fold:

1. They don't want to retool for a new motherboard before the Intel upgrade.
2. The heat problems. They've already cut the video out levels.
3. Market segmentation. If you want full Core Graphics support you need to upgrade to an eMac or iMac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: