123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Printer sharing to Windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miniconvert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Printer sharing to Windows Reply with quote

Has anyone else ever had issues sharing printers out to Windows clients? I have a HP Photosmart 8150 that is hooked up to my mini. I then shared it out and added it to my XP laptop. Although I could add the printer and view printer properties, I couldn't actually print.

In the end I just setup a new printer with a raw queue using the CUPS web interface. This works fine but it doesn't seem very OS Xish.
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the Bonjour client for windows. Worked for me with 3 macs, two xp laptops and a win2000 box.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrBabou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have the same problem! I never got around to ask for help about it here Embarassed

So what's that Bonjour client?
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go search the apple DL page for Bonjour for windows. It lets windows comps use the bonjour client on your mac network. Then you can plug the printer into whatever comp you leave on and the others can print to it. Still got to do some setup for it, but it make this soooo much easier.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miniconvert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofrojo wrote:
Go search the apple DL page for Bonjour for windows. It lets windows comps use the bonjour client on your mac network. Then you can plug the printer into whatever comp you leave on and the others can print to it. Still got to do some setup for it, but it make this soooo much easier.

I have 0 issue FINDING the printer and adding it in Windows. The ISSUE is that when I print, nothing happens at all. It shows up in the Windows print queue and then goes away as if it printed just fine. It never makes it to the actual printer. By creating a printer directly in the CUPS system that is a raw queue I am able to print just fine.
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry bro, got a bit confused there. Yea, I got nothing on that. Had that problem with a lexmakr printer. Gimp print let me print out of it but the format got messed up. In the end I said the heck with it and bought a cannon printer that had drivers for mac in the box. Hope someone else on the forum can get you up and running.
quade1492

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an HP Photosmart C4180 that I have shared via the sharing preferences that I can see and print fine from a windows vista desktop (wired) and laptop(wireless) as well as my macbook pro (wireless).

I have installed the HP software for my printer on my mac, but other than that I haven't done anything special and have perfect use of the printer through my network.

Have you tried this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: