123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

virtual pc & visual basic help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhuk01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: virtual pc & visual basic help Reply with quote

hi there,
i'm looking at buying virtual pc. this is because as far as i know visual basic will not run on a mac. Is this true?
Also, how smoothly does virtual pc 7 run on a mac mini?
Thanks,
Martin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aristobrat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have a good experience w/ Virtual PC on my mini system (1.42 ghz, 1gb of RAM, and VPC running on an external firewire drive).

I used Windows 2000 as the "host OS" in VPC as I had read numerous posts about how XP was a lot slower.

Everything ran well inside the VPC, it just was sooooooooooo slow that I found it easier to keep one of my Windows computers turned on all of the time and use "Desktop Sharing" to remote control it whenever I need to do a Windows task I can do on my mac mini (like update my GPSr, or VPN into work).

I'm not the worlds most patient person, so VPC might work out well for you.
mhuk01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
I didn't have a good experience w/ Virtual PC on my mini system (1.42 ghz, 1gb of RAM, and VPC running on an external firewire drive).

I used Windows 2000 as the "host OS" in VPC as I had read numerous posts about how XP was a lot slower.

Everything ran well inside the VPC, it just was sooooooooooo slow that I found it easier to keep one of my Windows computers turned on all of the time and use "Desktop Sharing" to remote control it whenever I need to do a Windows task I can do on my mac mini (like update my GPSr, or VPN into work).

I'm not the worlds most patient person, so VPC might work out well for you.

Shouldn't matter too much about the slowness, i'm currently on a pentium2 233mhz dell with 64mb ram! Smile What about visual basic though, does it requre virtual pc for it to run on a mac?

Thanks,
Martin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to try out a non-Microsoft basic editor, there is REALbasic. It seems to be what Mac users use, though I didn't check if Microsoft makes their software available for OS X.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
wala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that M$ Word for Mac has a VB macro editor....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: