123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual G4 1.0Ghz MDD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miniconvert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Dual G4 1.0Ghz MDD Reply with quote

I am about to take ownership of a G4 MDD for $60. Owner claims it won't boot but all the parts are there, 80GB drive, 512ram, superdrive and video card. For $60 I figure I can't go wrong, even if I can't get it to run the parts alone are worth more.

My question is, what can you all tell me about this system. I searched a bit and it sounds like this isn't an unheard of issue and that it comes down to either the power button or the video card itself.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you MC, I'd scroll down to 'Online Resources' section of this page and scan through the articles there. I'll betcha there's something there that can help out... Smile
miniconvert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind, I found the issue. The guy had the wrong type of ram in it, that was the only issue. This thing boots just fine! $300 computer for $60!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4 MDD is a sweet machine.

So long as it works..... Wink

hehehe

Aqua

This above comment will mean nothing to you, unless you read of the 'fun times' I've been having with my MDD 1.25. machine.. Wink

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
miniconvert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm finding that the superdrive might be a bit iffy. It is having trouble reading my...umm...copy of Leopard. The installer kept complaining that it couldn't verify the Essentials package.

I have a USB2.0 card that I stuck in the machine and am using an external DVD rom drive. Much better performance and I was able to install Leopard without issue. I'm really impressed with the performance of the machine so far. On my mini I created a stack from the applications folder. The animation of the stack opening is choppy. On this G4 mdd the animation is smooth as butta. Impressive.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, on eBay, these G4 MDD machines fetch very good prices... Cool

Clearly, you got yourself a bargain...

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
miniconvert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Apparently, on eBay, these G4 MDD machines fetch very good prices... Cool

Clearly, you got yourself a bargain...

Aqua

My intent when I picked it up was to resell it. I knew it was worth more. But now that I have Leopard running on it I can't get over how smooth it is and I'm starting to think I'll just keep it. It boots quicker than my mini, there is room for expansion, has gigabit and did I mention it is really smooth?

I have a home theater setup with a projector and in the past I've tried to use a Linux+MythTV box to play ripped DVDs. It just isn't reliable at all, either the audio is out of sync or the player crashes or the playback is jittery. In the end I rarely use it because it is such a pain. This Power Mac just might become my new media center machine.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be putting my Sawtooth G4 on the market soon since I don't have any use for it now. It was a great machine, served me and than my daughter well. Now that she has her 17" MacBook Pro, I've got my old G4 back. it's got 1.5 GB RAM, a 1.2 GHZ processor, upgraded from 400 Mhz, a 40GB and a 30GB HD. If I can't find a use for it, it will be up to go.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
I may be putting my Sawtooth G4 on the market soon since I don't have any use for it now. It was a great machine, served me and than my daughter well. Now that she has her 17" MacBook Pro, I've got my old G4 back. it's got 1.5 GB RAM, a 1.2 GHZ processor, upgraded from 400 Mhz, a 40GB and a 30GB HD. If I can't find a use for it, it will be up to go.

Let me know. I'll most likely take it off your hands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

Let me know. I'll most likely take it off your hands.

O.K. was waiting to make sure there was nothing on it she needs and will be cleaning it off shortly.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
miniconvert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided to play around with the MDD last night. I managed a bit of a drive dance and swapped an 80GB drive for a 20GB in my old iMac G3, putting the 80GB drive into the MDD and then cloning its contents to the 20GB drive in the iMac using target mode. I then booted up the installer disk, wiped both 80GB drives in my MDD and built a striped raid set.

Upon completing the install and all that good stuff I tested disk speed using xbench. I was quite disappointed to see the speeds were no different than one disk! I get about 48MB/s tops. It was then that I realized that I'm probably being held back by the onboard ATA controller since it is only ATA66. Can I use any ATA controller or does it have to be mac specific?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: