123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aTV powers self up, locks up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Din

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: aTV powers self up, locks up Reply with quote

About once every week or two, my aTV will turn itself on for no reason, and lock up so that it displays the silver apple logo on black screen, and nothing except removing power will get it to reboot.

Clicking buttons on the remote does make the audio button push sound trigger, but nothing has any effect.

I don't think it is a hardware problem with the aTV, as we returned it and got a replacement unit, and the same thing still occurs. So I'm inclined to believe something in my network is waking it up and causing this.

Any suggestions. At this point, I am considering just always leaving the unit on, and seeing if the lockup still occurs.

Din
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was doing the same thing. The network connections obviously stay active when the Apple TV goes into standby mode, so I think it's a bug with the 2.x software. It also didn't seem to do this with 1.x. That being said, I don't leave mine plugged in anymore. First off, it's just wasting electricity. It also heats up the cabinet portion of my TV stand. So I connected mine with a white extension cord that has an in-line switch. I just flip it on whenever I want now. This also makes rebooting it easy with the way I have things set up.
Din

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have switched to not turning it "off", and it seems to be fine if left in its own self-induced sleep mode.

Wonder what the difference in power consumption between sleep and standby is, since neither state is really off.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Din wrote:
Wonder what the difference in power consumption between sleep and standby is, since neither state is really off.

I've read that it's only a 3 to 4 watt difference. With standby drawing like 14 to 17 watts.
iLife's a Bitch!
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope Apple updates it so that there is a real sleep mode. The only thing it does now is turn of the LED on the front and cut the video signal's picture. Everything else is still running, you would think they would at least let the hard drive spin down Confused
Din

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a new problem developed after I began leaving it on, which is evidently common enough that people at Apple's support forums knew immediately how to fix it.

Leaving the unit powered up solved the lock ups, but now every time I attempt to watch a rented movie, I get blank white screen. Chapter jumps, the progress bar and everything work fine, just no audio and video. Turns out this is due to an iTunes authorization issue, and unplugging the unit (put a fucking power switch on this thing Apple) solves this, wih no consequences to the download even if it is in progress.

Now to make matters worse, last night before I could even rent a movie, it started having HDCP handshake issues, which I have had nary a one up until now. Have to turn of my prepro, then turn it back on twice just to get into the aTV's menus. Then rented a movie, get asked for the iTunes password which it should already know, only to get the white screen when I start the movie again. Two moer power downs and switching on and off for the prepro and finally get the movie started.

At this point, I am not too far fro selling the thing and going back to using the DLNA functionality of my PS3 and reting movies from them.

Get your act together Apple. Don't care if it's just your hobby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: