123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student Discount in UK Apple Retail Stores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jensonb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Student Discount in UK Apple Retail Stores Reply with quote

Hey guys, my sister is working on Wednesday and wants to have my dad buy a Mac for her in the Cambridge Apple Retail Store using her student discount. The Apple Store for Education online implies that's okay, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that for us?

We're taking her NUS card and I'll probably suggest her Passport
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher's the one to ask about this, he's done it before....
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my student discount on a couple of occasions in the Trafford Centre Apple Store. I did have to show my university student card, andthey also ask which University it is. BTW my card is a standard uni ID card not an NUS card and they were happy with that.

I did use my own card though in person and didn't have any problems what so ever. I think if your using your sisters card though they could be a little awkward with you if you get the wrong type of sales guy. It might be worth your sister ringing them to explain first.

Is your sister at Sixth Form or University?

University carries a higher rate of discount so make sure your dad asks for the Higher Education (HE) discount, its approx 14%. Also HE discount supposedly comes with 3 year hardware cover (similar to applecare) they do offer applecare at a much reduced rate but I think all your actually getting is 3 year phone support. I did buy applecare on both of mine using the HE discount, but reading posts on this forum it looks like I wasted my money as I would have been covered on the hardware anyway. It would definitely be worth enquiring on this before buying applecare.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Jensonb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I've used my student discount on a couple of occasions in the Trafford Centre Apple Store. I did have to show my university student card, andthey also ask which University it is. BTW my card is a standard uni ID card not an NUS card and they were happy with that.

I did use my own card though in person and didn't have any problems what so ever. I think if your using your sisters card though they could be a little awkward with you if you get the wrong type of sales guy. It might be worth your sister ringing them to explain first.

Is your sister at Sixth Form or University?

University carries a higher rate of discount so make sure your dad asks for the Higher Education (HE) discount, its approx 14%. Also HE discount supposedly comes with 3 year hardware cover (similar to applecare) they do offer applecare at a much reduced rate but I think all your actually getting is 3 year phone support. I did buy applecare on both of mine using the HE discount, but reading posts on this forum it looks like I wasted my money as I would have been covered on the hardware anyway. It would definitely be worth enquiring on this before buying applecare.
Cheers for the help Cypher.

I'll make sure and tell him to mention that she's in University.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the states, if I was buying a Mac for my daughter, who will be attending college in the fall, I could purchase it through the AppleStore for Education or since the school she will be attending has an AppleStore, I could buy it for her there. I would think that it would be the same there. I wound up buying her a MacBook Pro from a retailer that offered a rebate so it came out less than buying from the Education store because I didn't have to pay tax.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
helicoil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: HE discount Reply with quote

I work for the MRC which in a round about way is part of Imperial College.
I've bought all my macs with the HE discount and I can confirm the discount (although I thought it was slightly less than 10%) and the warranty.
The warranty is three years but the uplift gives you an additional 2yrs phone support and if you get a laptop it includes a return service for warranty repair.
With laptops, after the first years warranty, you have to return it to an Apple store or dealer yourself for repair, with the warranty uplift they send you a post paid box and packaging(usually DHL).

Normally if your on the HE network you will have access to the HE store and you can order it direct from Apple yourself. You can pay with your own credit card, specify your home as a delivery point and use your own details etc -don't worry about not having an edu email addy.
Orange Micro Terror
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: