123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.4 [Updated x 2]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shutdown and boot up times seem shorter. Anyone else?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Texark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
I thought that was the point of a Combo update? It combines all previous updates and is therefore going to get bigger each time, I may have got the wrong end of the stick though!

Doh! You guys are right. Chalk that up to poor communication and irrational exuberance. I meant to say that Leopard Combo updates are gaining weight at a much faster rate. Tiger only went from 120MB with 10.4.4 to 180MB with 10.4.11. Leopard has already gone from 343MB with 10.5.2 to 561MB with 10.5.4. We're up another like 30MB just from 10.5.3. I'm just shocked at how big these things are getting. I hope the promise of a leaner and meaner Snow Leopard holds true.

hackersmovie wrote:

Shutdown seems faster. I was spinning with the disk more in 10.5.3.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

Not with the G5, but my Intel mini (1.83GHz CD2 with 3GB of RAM) feels a little faster. I just timed it at 38 seconds for startup and 12 seconds for shutdown. I'm not sure how that compares with others, but those are my numbers.
iLife's a Bitch!
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

Not with the G5, but my Intel mini (1.83GHz CD2 with 3GB of RAM) feels a little faster. I just timed it at 38 seconds for startup and 12 seconds for shutdown. I'm not sure how that compares with others, but those are my numbers.

My shutdown seems to take a hell of a lot longer than 12 seconds on my 1.83Ghz C2D MacBook :S
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
My shutdown seems to take a hell of a lot longer than 12 seconds on my 1.83Ghz C2D MacBook :S

I just timed it again and got 40 seconds for startup and 14 seconds for shutdown. Like how long is it taking you? I know my G5 is much slower. I would give you the numbers, but I'm on it. Smile
iLife's a Bitch!
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.....it takes 1 minute 14 seconds to shut down, 44 seconds to boot to the log in screen and 17 seconds to go from the log in screen to a fully loaded desktop.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
Ok.....it takes 1 minute 14 seconds to shut down.

Wow! I don't have a MacBook, but that's pretty long. I bet you have something hanging. Have you looked in your log files? Are you running anything like Fusion or Parallels? I would assume that you've repaired your permissions and forced the maintenance scripts. I don't reckon you have a bunch of external drives or devices connected to it either.
iLife's a Bitch!
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

Wow! I don't have a MacBook, but that's pretty long. I bet you have something hanging. Have you looked in your log files? Are you running anything like Fusion or Parallels? I would assume that you've repaired your permissions and forced the maintenance scripts. I don't reckon you have a bunch of external drives or devices connected to it either.

How do I check my log files? Nothing like Fusion or Parallels is running I closed any open apps before I click shutdown. I did run all the scripts in Onyx recently but I'm pretty sure the shutdown times have been like this for ages! The only device I have connected is a 3G USB Modem.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't downloaded the new update yet. Sounds like I should wait. I hate waiting, but it seems updates from time to time are being released prematurely and cause numerous system problems. I have a friend who has been a Mac User for 15 years & he says he NEVER does the updates immediately. He waits to hear what people are saying about them & when there are no problems, then he performs the Updates. So am I to think, updates can be like Beta software sometimes ? I'm new to the Mac. As of Feb. 2008. So I really don't know the History behind it all. Educate Me !!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
How do I check my log files? Nothing like Fusion or Parallels is running I closed any open apps before I click shutdown. I did run all the scripts in Onyx recently but I'm pretty sure the shutdown times have been like this for ages! The only device I have connected is a 3G USB Modem.

I have a feeling that 3G USB modem could be slowing you down. Anyways, open up Console in your Utilities folder and look at the system.log. That might give you a clue to what's happening.
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed any good or bad changes in Leopard performance on my mini, Cube or iMac since upgrading to 10.5.4.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
I haven't downloaded the new update yet. Sounds like I should wait. I hate waiting, but it seems updates from time to time are being released prematurely and cause numerous system problems. I have a friend who has been a Mac User for 15 years & he says he NEVER does the updates immediately. He waits to hear what people are saying about them & when there are no problems, then he performs the Updates. So am I to think, updates can be like Beta software sometimes ? I'm new to the Mac. As of Feb. 2008. So I really don't know the History behind it all. Educate Me !!

I've found there are two groups of people when it comes to updates.

1. Those that wait
2. Those that download it the very second it's available.

I'd fit in the second group but, to each their own as they say. . .

Your not wrong whichever group your in. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grover Time

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:

Buying a new iPhone or MobileMe? You'll need 10.5.4. Plus, there will always be reports of problems with updates. But that doesn't necessarily mean the issues are widespread. I would always recommend using the Combo update though. I've had fewer issues going that route. JMHO
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please explain what Combo Update is. I generally do my Updates by clicking on Black Apple & choosing Software Updates. Am I getting the Combo Update when updating in this manner?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Please explain what Combo Update is.

Dino, the combo update is the one that you get from the Apple website - it's the everything-included bundle that can update a machine from the earliest version of the current OS (10.5.0) right the way up to the current incarnation (10.5.4).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: