123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of the Mac Mini
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SystemFault

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: End of the Mac Mini Reply with quote

It looks like it's the end of the Mac Mini. Why?

1) No updates in the past TEN months.

2) The Mac Mini has been made up of parts seen it the MacBook. But in the past ten months since the last Mac Mini update, the MacBook has seen two updates.

So, if the logical updates to the Mac Mini (e.g., Penryn, 4 GB RAM ceiling, X3100 graphics) were going to be made, then Apple would have done so by now.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may be allowed to paraphrase Mark Twain..

"Rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated."

Aqua...Very Happy

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
If I may be allowed to paraphrase Mark Twain..

"Rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated."

True. Smile

One thing that we do know is that El Jobso has been trying to make one product announcement per week since the beginning of this year. If he had announced a new notebook, iMac and Mini by the end of January, Apple's desire to maintain media interest in its products throughout the year would have completely fallen on its face by February.

So the announcements have, by necessity, been a continuously mixed bag. That's why we have had an price cut here and an OS update there, a application upgrade here and a server hardware tweak there.

We've seen the MacBooks updated, we've seen the iMacs updated, and we will see the Mini updated, but not before Apple have padded out the intervening time with a handful of smaller modifications to its product range. I know it's a PITA, but that's one of the downsides of being a Mac fanboi - you get hardware updates when Apple say you can have them.
barnz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I know it's a PITA...

ha! I had to slowly spell this out to remember what it stands for. Like Lilly Tomlin on the Tony's last night - she talked about going to a play where she
Quote:
EL...EM...uh...AY...OH...
Laughing
SystemFault

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, why has the MacBook seen TWO updates in the past TEN months when the Mini has seen NONE?

Why doesn't the Mini have even 802.11n that's seen on the MacBook, the MacBook Pro, the iMac, and even the cheap AppleTV?

Even a redheaded stepchild gets fed once in a while.

Face it, the Mini is laid out on a morgue slab waiting for its funeral while we're waiting for the obituary to be published.
will94

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why Apple would kill a product that has gained such an amazing response from the target audience- it may not have amazingly large sales figures, but they surely can't kill a product which makes all us fanboys drool.....
Salesman: Hi, welcome to Microsoft Windows [punches customer]
Influx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple is never going to be able to get rid of the Mini, or whatever it's future equivalent may be.

It's their cheapest computer.
It's the computer that is attracting the most switchers.
It's footprint makes it suitable for all different kinds of uses.

This is the computer that introduces new users to their company.

Do they really need and update right now? Maybe they are going to a plan that will see them upgrade every 12 months. Who knows. Maybe they feel they do not want to upset this market by consistently updating the product they just bought. If it's updated every 6 months, You are going to have new switchers pissed off in that frequency because they feel like they are getting left behind. I'm just throwing that out there. My point is that there are MANY reasons (most of which we are not aware of) Apple does things the way they do.

I wouldn't read too much into it, just based on the reasons you were outlining. The macbooks have a completely different target market. The fact that they share some of the same hardware is a poor reason to link the 2 together in this manner.

The Mini as we know it may cease to exist sometime soon, however it's replacement will cover all the same bases the Mini does, if not a few more.
Mac user since Aug 27 1956
SystemFault

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple is really not interested in competing in the under $1,000 market for home computers; if they were, the low end Mini would be a hundred dollars cheaper and the high end model two hundred dollars cheaper. And that might not be enough.

As is obvious from recent trends, Apple is more interested in the high margins it sees with Shiny Pocket Sized Gizmos that sell so well to insecure and aging hipsters.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SystemFault wrote:
Again, why has the MacBook seen TWO updates in the past TEN months when the Mini has seen NONE?

Why doesn't the Mini have even 802.11n that's seen on the MacBook, the MacBook Pro, the iMac, and even the cheap AppleTV?

Even a redheaded stepchild gets fed once in a while.

Face it, the Mini is laid out on a morgue slab waiting for its funeral while we're waiting for the obituary to be published.

System Fault, I really think you've failed to understand the purpose of the Mac Mini in Apple's strategy.

The Mini is not designed to be a super-computer. It is not designed to be a games machine. It is not designed to be a corporate work-station.

The Mini has only one task. It is designed to give Windows users who enviously gaze at OS X and iLife an opportunity to try them with very little risk. That's why a Mini is cheap. That's why it can use PC peripherals. That's why it can even run WinXP. It's the low-risk way to try out Mac OS X and iLife.

Does the current 1.83GHz Mini achieve this? Yes, with room to spare.

I do agree with you that the Mini could be a little cheaper to tempt even more Windows users to turn away from the dark side, but I'd be happy if Apple re-introduced the 1.66GHz processor and the 60GB HD to allow for the price cuts. Somehow, I don't think that you'll agree with me on that one....
Influx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SystemFault wrote:
Apple is really not interested in competing in the under $1,000 market for home computers; if they were, the low end Mini would be a hundred dollars cheaper and the high end model two hundred dollars cheaper.

By that reasoning, they wouldn't have a Mini at all. Yes the pricing does seem a little exclusive, however once someone puts the money out, they are going to be a lot less willing to go back.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to figure out your reasoning for feeling Apple will totally drop the Mini.

Quote:
As is obvious from recent trends, Apple is more interested in the high margins it sees with Shiny Pocket Sized Gizmos that sell so well to insecure and aging hipsters.
lol I'm not gonna touch that one.[/quote]
Mac user since Aug 27 1956
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly.....

If Jobs and the Apple team had their wits about them...then they would be advertising the Mac Mini as a "Green Machine".

As you guys have already noted, it has a 'small footprint' power wise..

So, all it would take, is for Apple's advertising Gurus, to get Al Gore to stand up in front of a big screen that shows the "Earth has a fever" to which he would say...

"And this (holding a Mac Mini up to the camera) is the best way to "Cool it"...

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
Honestly.....

If Jobs and the Apple team had their wits about them...then they would be advertising the Mac Mini as a "Green Machine".

As you guys have already noted, it has a 'small footprint' power wise..

So, all it would take, is for Apple's advertising Gurus, to get Al Gore to stand up in front of a big screen that shows the "Earth has a fever" to which he would say...

"And this (holding a Mac Mini up to the camera) is the best way to "Cool it"...

Aqua

That's good forward-thinking, Aqua, but some people are already on the case... Wink
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to play the devils advocate. Green is a pretty small market. Look at the hybrid/green autos. They never really caught on until the world started to see outrageous fuel prices. Green is a nice benefit but it's not the driving force so much as the $ from fuel savings.

Marketing Apple computers as green may also turn some people off. There are quite a few people that think a computer must be powerful. Green and powerful don't typically go together. The average consumer still looks at numbers. Big numbers = good computer.

Unless there is a significant return on the investment. ie money saving due to lower power consumption. I don't think it's a big motivator.

Another example is energy saving light bulbs. When they first came out they were like $20 a piece. Nobody bought them just to be green. Now that they are $3-4 people are buying them up big time.

So unless Apple can play on the cost savings due to being green. I think its a lost cause. Now, because Apple computers tend to already be pricy, I think you have a hard sell ahead of you.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I think you're absolutely right and this is what makes steam come out of my ears when I hear people trying to put forward an "economy vs. environment" argument - oftentimes, it's cheaper to do the environmental thing, e.g. fit triple glazing instead of double glazing, build houses with super-insulated walls etc.

Sure, the initial investment might look high, but over the course of the lifetime of a product, you'll recoup your money many times over....

Just my 2 pence Smile
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Marketing Apple computers as green may also turn some people off. There are those that want power. There are those that think Apple users already think they are superior.

Unless there is a significant return on the investment. ie money saving due to lower power consumption. I don't think it's a big motivator.

I don't agree. While cost is obviously important, marketing can play a big factor. Most people still judge computers by processor speed. All household white goods here come with energy efficiency ratings. For some reason the PC industry eschews them. Your average consumer buyer probably has no idea of the power consumption of different computers when they are buying. I'd wager than many small business people also have no idea.

For normal office use, normal home use (not gaming) and normal education use a mini or comparable pc is more than capable and likely to require half to a third of the power of a "standard" box. Yet, no mainstream PC seller bothers to market any PC as "green". They've wrapped themselves so much in the more Hertz is better and none of them are prepared to take a risk to market anything different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: