123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Successful dual monitor installation with Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddlestar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious on the performance of the system if you guys can answer a few Q's...

How does the apple remote works with the dual display - can you control a DVD on the main display while still typing on the secondary display?

I've heard that going into front row will darken the secondary display and make it unusable, is this true?

Without quicktime support is it possible to run imovie on the secondary display?

Lastly, does anyone have one of these with eyeTV? I'd like to see how running eyeTV in full screen on one display affects the performance of the other display...
SimpleLife

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second display may black out in full screen mode. It depends on the application.

Blacks out: Preview, Front Row (Apple Remote), that's all I tested.

Does not black out: DVD player, Adobe Acrobat Professional

The second display works fine watching a DVD in full screen mode, but not with Front Row (Command-Escape, or Apple Remote).

I don't use iMovie or eyeTV so I can't answer.

Cheers.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already on the lookout for another Iiyama E511S monitor like the one I already have. When I find one, I'm going to buy it and then track down one of these EVGA adapters.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have bootcamp installed and want to run dual monitors without an expensive USB device? Let me know, as I came across a rumored solution, but I need someone to test it out for me.
SimpleLife

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been using this setup for a while.

I would say it's good for the price, especially if using a spare monitor that's not otherwise being put to good use.

Overall, though, the color, contrast, and brightness issues (in other words, everything to do with graphics) can be distracting, and downright problematic. Again, it all depends on the intended use.

This is definitely not a replacement for a proper graphics card setup if one is after quality and long-term productivity.

There are many reasons why the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro are so expensive. One obvious reason is graphics.

When doing heavy PDF reading and notetaking via the word processor, the secondary monitor can give me a headache, especially if I'm switching back and forth between the primary and secondary.

It's probably due to a combination of the neck craning back and forth, and also due to the visual and cognitive adjustments that have to be made by the eyes and brain when moving back and forth. It's an unnecessary strain, when I need to get work done.

Right now, I'm posting to this forum using the secondary. My head and eyes are stationary. This is not a problem at all and works fine. It also works fine when I'm doing things like folder and file management with multiple Finder windows, or when I'm writing AppleScripts with many Script Editor windows which facilitates cutting and pasting and testing scripts. In these situations, the extra real estate is really helpful.

All this stuff makes me think of my iPhone and iPod Touch. Those things have amazing high resolutions screens. Same with my new MacBook Pro with the LED display. The displays are simply amazing. The display is one of the main things we interact with, and Apple has it right in making it such a priority in all of their products.

But in the end it's between a $69+tax USB graphics adapter and my spare monitor, or a Mac Pro with a 30" Apple Cinema Display.

Well I'm saving my money up now.

Just wanted to let people know what to expect out of this setup. It's dirt cheap and usable with the Mac Mini, but not ideal or perfect. Definitely not to Apple standards and what a Mac user would expect.

Again, it all depends how it's used and one's expectations.

Having said all that, I've been much more productive with the extra display. I've learned to just use the setup with workflows that don't require constant back and forth motions and perceptual adjustments.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: