123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ram and HD upgrade questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Ram and HD upgrade questions.... Reply with quote

Hi all, just registered on the forums because I thought it was a great place (a forum dedicated to the mini, perfect).
I'm trying to sell my current PC so I can buy a Mac Mini. I know I want the 1.42GHz model, just unsure of whether I want the SuperDrive or not, but thats another issue.
Regardless of what I get, ram and HD upgrades will be first on the list.
I know that the Mini now comes with 512MB PC2700 standard, is that 1 dimm of 512MB, or 256MB onboard and another 256MB that can be replaced with upto 1GB? I have a PowerBook that has 1.5GB ram (512MB + 1GB), if the Mini has one 512MB dimm, I can put that in my PB, and take the 1GB out of the PB and put that in the Mini, giving each 1GB of ram and no added expense to me.
Next I would like to upgrade the 4200rpm HD. I was thinking a 7200rpm Hitachi, but do they make these in capacities larger than 60GB? Also, how are the 5400rpm drives with 16MB cache when compared to the 7200rpm drives? I would assume that the 16mb cache would be nice for file transfers and stuff.
I was then thinking about taking the 4200rpm drive out of the Mini and putting it in an external 2.5" enclosure, I can use it between the Mini and my PB.
What do you guys think about my plan?

Mac Mini....Coming Soon
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your plan regarding memory sounds good.

Regarding the hard drive, they make a 7200rpm 100Gb drive, but it's $330. That's a tad expensive for me considering it's almost as much as the Mini, but that's just me. I'm going to get the 100Gb 5400rpm Seagate drive I think. BestBuy has it.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
slick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, $330 is a tad bit much, not something I want to invest in right now.
I've seen a Toshiba hard drive on Newegg that has 16MB Cache (its a 100GB), for $175. Does Toshiba make good notebook hard drives? I know Seagate is a great company, but the one you pointed out from BB has 8MB cache, I am wondering how much more the 16MB cache will benefit me.

I assume that since you think my Ram upgrade is good, its also doable (meaning, the new Mini's have a single 512MB dimm, correct?)

Mac Mini....Coming Soon
castufari

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your PB and Mini share the same memory module? I thought the PBs used SODIMMS (200 pin), the Minis use DDR that is of a standard size.

For a drive I'm thinking about buying an external FW, something that is much quicker and booting off of it. The LaCie 250gb drive - which would sit under the Mini - is under 200.

You can buy SuperDrive "replacements" for $100 or so that are dual layer, like the Pioneer DVR-K05L. One of the online stores sells it for 129, I saw it for 99 elsewhere. Swapping this out would be easy. These drives aren't special or anything, they're slimlines for laptops and the like.
slick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are right, the mini uses regular DDR while the PB uses SODIMM, i got some bad info from a friend (he said that since the mini uses a 2.5" HD, it uses notebook ram Smile )
the idea of upgrading the superdrive with an aftermarket drive seems good. i can get the 1.42ghz mini with combo drive, and buy a $99 superdrive, which would cost the same as the $699 mini with superdrive, BUT with your way, i gain a combo drive for the same price as the $699 mini. not a bad way to have a spare optical drive that i can use in my mini or PB.
as far as the hard drive goes, replacing the minis 4200rpm drive with a 5400rpm drive and putting the 4200rpm drive in a small HD enclosure, like this: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316123&pfp=cat3
allows me to transport it with my PB if i need to. i am thinking about portability, but that LaCie looks mighty tempting. i am thinking about one of these for added USB and firewire: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=199941#

Mac Mini....Coming Soon
castufari

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slick wrote:
the idea of upgrading the superdrive with an aftermarket drive seems good. i can get the 1.42ghz mini with combo drive, and buy a $99 superdrive, which would cost the same as the $699 mini with superdrive, BUT with your way, i gain a combo drive for the same price as the $699 mini.

It's not so much you get the extra drive, you get to buy a drive that will do dual layer. I'll probably wrap my combo drive up and put it away as a spare, not sure what else it would easily work in.

Nice cases, I like the LaCie because of the firewire. Not sure what I'll do, heck, the stinking Mini hasn't even arrived yet! I might see if I can find a FW case that holds several drives, as I have 5 HDs in my PC now that I'll need to get rid of.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also just buy a DVR-K05 drive and through that in the Mini. It's a slim DL DVD burner that fits and works in OS X natively.

Sorry I didn't catch that memory thing earlier, 11 hours of sleep makes my brain work about as well as on 4, Sad.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
poisonfist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you some comments from my experience. I have uinstalled a K05 in my mini, I also have 3 other 5.25" dual layer drives, 2 Pioneer (108 & 109), 1 Matsushita (3540A). I have tried all with Firewire enclosures with Oxford chips resulting faster burns with the outboard. The beauty of the K05 is that it is internal and you do not need to carry it around though it may not perform as well. You will always bump into DVD-R (+R, RW, DL, etc.) that your drive will refuse to recognize or burn on your burner while it may work on different burner. It is sort of a trial and error till you find the one that works well with your drive.

If you want a hub and are thinking of the Lacie external drive, why don't you get an outboard drive with a hub built in? Like this one http://www.micronet.com/General/minimate.asp

328i sport package
poisonfist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castufari wrote:

It's not so much you get the extra drive, you get to buy a drive that will do dual layer. I'll probably wrap my combo drive up and put it away as a spare, not sure what else it would easily work in.

Nice cases, I like the LaCie because of the firewire. Not sure what I'll do, heck, the stinking Mini hasn't even arrived yet! I might see if I can find a FW case that holds several drives, as I have 5 HDs in my PC now that I'll need to get rid of.

You could put that extra drive in an external slim case... Wink

328i sport package
castufari

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="poisonfist"]
castufari wrote:

You could put that extra drive in an external slim case... Wink

I emailed the company that makes that MD-9 and asked them if they'd consider adding a dual drive case, I'd def buy one, it would be nice to have.
clayton89

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Macmini 1.42, 512mb Combo Drive Reply with quote

People forget the superdrive option, its a waste of money. The drive in the macmini is not dual layer. You're best of buying an external one.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Macmini 1.42, 512mb Combo Drive Reply with quote

clayton89 wrote:
People forget the superdrive option, its a waste of money. The drive in the macmini is not dual layer. You're best of buying an external one.

Agreed, you're better off getting the $599 model and saving the extra hundred dollars for a good external DL burner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: