123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini as a router and print server for PC, good idea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Crunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini as a router and print server for PC, good idea? Reply with quote

Right now I've got a Time Capsule with a printer connected to it. My macbook and my wife's old Toshiba laptop both can connect to the internet and print easily and reliably.

For various reasons I'd like to get rid of the Time Capsule, plug my cable modem and printer directly into the Mini and have it share both internet and the printer. Can this be done as easily as it was to set up the Time Capsule? Will it be reliable?

I'm not too worried about range since I live in an apartment.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini as a router and print server for PC, good idea? Reply with quote

[quote="Capt Crunch"] Can this be done as easily as it was to set up the Time Capsule? Will it be reliable?[quote]
It's easy to set up. You just need to go into Sharing and turn on Internet Sharing. Then select share from Ethernet to Airport. It should also be reliable. That being said, I would lower your expectations about performance and signal strength. It's not going to be as good as your TC. It's also going to take a little work setting up the printer. I'm curious about something. Why do you want to get rid of the TC?
Capt Crunch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini as a router and print server for PC, good idea? Reply with quote

[quote="devo"][quote="Capt Crunch"] Can this be done as easily as it was to set up the Time Capsule? Will it be reliable?
Quote:

It's easy to set up. You just need to go into Sharing and turn on Internet Sharing. Then select share from Ethernet to Airport. It should also be reliable. That being said, I would lower your expectations about performance and signal strength. It's not going to be as good as your TC. It's also going to take a little work setting up the printer. I'm curious about something. Why do you want to get rid of the TC?

I'm using the mac mini as n HTPC and have no input connected to the computer. When the computer goes to sleep, it disconnects from the TC, where all my movies are stored. As a result, Front Row can't see it and I have to disconnect my mouse from my laptop, connect it to the mini, manually navigate to the TC in the finder to "automatically" connect, then go back to Front Row. Very annoying.

I think that a firewire harddrive will fix the problem, but to fund it I need to get rid of the TC. I'd get a router but after having a bad experience with a cheap router I was toying with the idea of using the mini as a router since my place is only a 1 bedroom apt and all the computers are in the same room.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is the mini going to sleep rather than the TC. You could turn off the mini sleeping or you may be able to do it with applescript to automatically re-establish the connection to the TC.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much use my old PPC mini for this reason nowadays. That and file storage. I dont have the scratch for mobile me so I just VPN back to it when I'm on the road.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: