123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phishing, watch out!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Phishing, watch out!! Reply with quote

I got a mail in my spambox on Gmail with the following text: (Very originally enlightened with the iLife picture)
> WELCOME

> We were unable to process your most recent payment. Did you recently change your bank, phone number or credit card?
>
> To ensure that your service is not interrupted, please update your billing information today by clicking here, After a few clicks, just verify the information you entered is correct.

As I never order from a US store (I'm a European) I directly knew it was a Spoof. WATCH OUT! This is just a phishing trial!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! These guys did a good job of re-creating Apple web pages - pity about the URL.... Smile
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Wow! These guys did a good job of re-creating Apple web pages - pity about the URL.... Smile

Very dangerous for Americans indeed! Shocked
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

The didn't recreate the Apple pages those are links to the actual Apple pages. They only created the page designed to get your credit card info (the one with the obvious non-Apple URL).

I agree, they did a good job.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

The didn't recreate the Apple pages those are links to the actual Apple pages. They only created the page designed to get your credit card info (the one with the obvious non-Apple URL).

I agree, they did a good job.

They did a very, very, very good job. With Web designing talent like that, it's a wonder they have to run a scam.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend just almost got scammed on Craigs List. Some girl selling a MacBook for $400. Says shes a Foreign exchange student. So he goes through Wiring $ to DHL. And then he starts noticing, the Graphic info was wrong on the DHL Statement. He looks further and sees the DHL Link she posted, the DHL Logo Grainy in appearance compared to DHL's Site. He cancelled the Payment immediately and got his $434. back. On forther investigation, we found the same email he was sent from a so called "Amy" word for word on a scam site. It's coming from a girl named Amy in Illinois with just a PO Box. Beware !
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about a phishing scam that duped a couple hundred MobileMe users this week. Apparently, it was rather convincing.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishing gets more sophisticated as time goes by, and copying a website is easy, but probably the banks need to install better IT protection.

While I was in the UK last year I opened a new business account at my bank, one of Britain's most respected high street banks.
With this account, I applied for Internet banking facilities, as of course I live overseas, but I never got round to activating that feature online - and still didn't.
This Internet banking feature is very much an 'up to you' thing, and a bank is not going to start harassing its clients if they don't sign up for it.

However, starting from about 6 months ago, I have been receiving a phishing mail asking me to activate this Internet feature. I know a spam or a phishing attempt instantly, but out of curiosity I followed the link. What I got was a perfect copy of my bank's web page, with some convincing sentence saying something like if I don't activate the account within 48 hours, the only way to this would involve a new personal visit to the branch.

With my web savvy curious mind, I followed the next link.

Lo and behold, the form presented, required me to complete fields with my account number, password, home address, telephone number, AND the details of my current credit card "...in order to execute seamless function of online purchase and payment of bills, and money transfers through your personal Internet Banking gateway;"

The intrigue is that I am left wondering if this was a pure coincidence, or whether the bank's IT security had been compromised.

Viewing the source code in the browser to see where these links go, may be a bit much to ask of anyone who can't read html, but it's easy enough to detect these scams, all one has to do is look at the connection URL in the browser, but how many don't? A URL such as XXXs bank.co.cn should be a dead give-away.

With the billions being lost through phishing, it is surprising that the banks don't get together and purchase some infomercials on TV to warn the public about these dangers. I'm sure that the Internet savvy generations are less likely to be conned, but there are a great many older, less frequent users of the Internet - people who put their feet up and watch Coronation Street five times a week, that are the potential victims.

Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: