123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Apple Previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard Reply with quote

Apple Previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Monday, June 9, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Apple today previewed Mac OS X Snow Leopard to developers at WWDC 2008. Rather than focusing primarily on new features, Snow Leopard will enhance the performance of OS X, set a new standard for quality and lay the foundation for future OS X innovation. Snow Leopard is optimized for multi-core processors, taps into the vast computing power of graphic processing units (GPUs), enables breakthrough amounts of RAM and features a new, modern media platform with QuickTime X. Snow Leopard includes out-of-the-box support for Microsoft Exchange 2007 and is scheduled to ship in about a year.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/968.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cute looking Snow Leopard. The previous images I had seen of the cat looked pretty scary.

I had never heard of a Snow Leopard. I'll have to do some research Smile to learn about this cat. Where do these guys live?
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question on every one's lips is will they charge for an OS that adds no features?
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
The question on every one's lips is will they charge for an OS that adds no features?

I'm sure there will be new features and a charge as always. The statement simply say "rather than focusing on new features", it doesn't say that there won't be new features. In fact "rather than" implies that there will be new features. This is just a preview. Apple doesn't want to give away all its secrets (to MicroSoft) at this time.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
That's a cute looking Snow Leopard. The previous images I had seen of the cat looked pretty scary.

I had never heard of a Snow Leopard. I'll have to do some research Smile to learn about this cat. Where do these guys live?

I pulled it from Wikipedia. I must say, he is a cool looking cat!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple really lucked out with the existence of Snow Leopards. I mean, what a clever product name for how they are trying to build on Leopard. Now, what will it cost?
Influx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, will it still support PPC machines? I hope not. Intel all the way! Twisted Evil
Mac user since Aug 27 1956
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planet Earth series had a segment on Snow Leopards in the #2 episode, "Mountains." Rare and beautiful cats. I recall them saying on the Planet Earth Diaries episodes how they were the first documentary team to take close up video of the leopards.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
The Planet Earth series had a segment on Snow Leopards in the #2 episode, "Mountains." Rare and beautiful cats. I recall them saying on the Planet Earth Diaries episodes how they were the first documentary team to take close up video of the leopards.

Thanks ClunkClunk,

I've had the series on Blu-ray for almost 1 year and I haven't watched the entire thing. This will give me reason to pop it back in the player. The series is truly stunning. I'm just not the type of person who likes to devote my attention to the TV for any length of time.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Apple really lucked out with the existence of Snow Leopards. I mean, what a clever product name for how they are trying to build on Leopard. Now, what will it cost?

It's a great name, but how will they market it? I can't see people running out in droves for a $129 dollar performance upgrade. I think there is way more to this story than Apple is leading on. Being multi-touch ready for Macs probably being the biggest thing. They surely don't want Windows 7 beating them to that punch.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I am excitedly awaiting this release. Some may say that Apple goofed on 10.5 (I never had an issue though) and now we are sitting at 10.5.3 and already news of 10.6. I could be wrong but that is a huge "cat out of the bag" (pun intended Laughing ) which is not the status quo for Apple. All that being said, I would have to applaud Apple for being so ballsy to say they want to focus on increasing performance on the "Worlds Best OS". I'd gladly plunk down $129 U.S. greenbacks for a better performing OS with little or no new features. A new OS, that runs well, can make your hardware seem like new again!

Not too mention the areas the talked about bettering. GPU, Multicore, etc. These are all areas we all discuss here regularly. C'mon Apple!

My 2 cents. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, HM - when I upgraded my old eMac from Panther to Tiger, the performance improvement was so noticeable that it felt like I'd had a CPU upgrade. If that happens with Snow Leopard, then 1.66GHz owners like me will be very interested in the performance comparison between 10.4.11 and 10.6.1. Cool
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you as well.

When you made your point it made me think of an automobile analogy.

If someone said to you. I've designed a new fuel for OS X automobiles. To use this fuel you must install a $130 device. BTW, you will have to install it yourself.

Option 1:
It has additives that your auto doesn't need in most driving conditions. These additives will decrease the performance of your auto. You may want to upgrade to a bigger engine to cope with these additives or your auto will have a loss of power and feel sluggish. Because these additives have not been tested in all environments, they may cause damage to your auto or possibly all of the autos in your garage. Some of your current music will no longer play on the stereo. We recommend that you only fuel up at approved stations.

or

Option 2:

It will make your auto run better than it did new. It will feel like you put a bigger engine in. It will also be safer. All your current music will play flawlessly, it will even sound better. You will likely get a few more years life out of your auto.

Keep in mind. Although Apple does sell hardware they have said in the past. They are a software company. Think of them as a perfume company that sells their products in pretty bottles. The pretty packaging sells the product.
stupkid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: The name Reply with quote

Makes me think of this:

http://www.cryofthesnowlion.com

But I'm sure that is just a coincidence.

Here's me hoping this will be a free upgrade or at least very inexpensive.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Snow Leopard Server will use the ZFS file system...
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/snowleopard/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: