123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visual Pinball on XP and Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emax4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Visual Pinball on XP and Mini? Reply with quote

I haven't gotten my Mini yet, but having the ability to do Windows was one of my decisions to get it. The main reason for this was to play Visual Pinball (Google it and check out the links to see what I mean). This PC software allows you to play and create your own tables and recreations of pinball tables from commercial games. Has anyone ever done this with their Mac Mini or am I the only one who hasn't tried this yet? I'm hoping my upcoming 1.83GHz Mac is up to the challenge.

Eric
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see why this would be a problem.

Just make sure you go to www.intel.com and download the graphics card drivers from there do not install the ones off of the leopard disk they will give you hell when you try to run games.
emax4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the warning! I'll check out the rest of the subjects here, but is there anything else I should be aware of before running or installing anything?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not really..

Just remember windows xp requires 5 gig's of hard drive space to install under boot camp so if you are planing on running more than one game make sure your hard drive partition in boot camp is at least 15 gig's or bigger if you are only running one game then i would entertain a 10 gig partition.

it is really dependent on what you are going to do with it.

Here is a list of games that so far you can play with the updated drivers and windows xp on boot camp.

1. Halo 1 (gives the error this machine doesn't have a fast enough processor would you like to continue just select yes the game run's fine just that halo one doesn't understand the new processors in the mac mini)

2. Doom 3 (will run under boot camp but make sure you have 2 gig's of ram in order to give enough memory to the graphics card for the game to function correctly.

3. The Neverhood (run's great nice old school puzzle game no longer in print you will have to find this one on ebay or amazon)

So far this is what i have used with boot camp game wise.

Just remember that boot camp in windows gives the graphics card 128 megs of ram to the graphics card where mac os x only gets 64.
emax4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visual Pinball works GREAT! It's smoother than I thought with no stuttering. There are a few games where the graphics are more realistic but seem off (repeated sections of the playboard), but for the most part the games work great. I'm sure glad I got this!

Eric
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to here another one we can add to the list of games that work under boot camp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: