123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Internal HD stay off when using External FW drive...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Making Internal HD stay off when using External FW drive... Reply with quote

I now have my mini running off of an external firewire drive and was wondering how i can get my internal drive to not spin up at all.. or just turn off after a few minutes of non use... I know where to find the option to spin down all the hard drives but is it possible to select which one you want to spin down and after how long?

Thanks!
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. You just get the option to put drives to sleep when possible. There are no advance settings. Sad
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, does anyone know if MBS' tinker tools has this option?
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:
hmm, does anyone know if MBS' tinker tools has this option?

TinkerTool doesn't have that option. But it has a new option to deactivate Dashboard. Very Happy
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a program for OS 9 called Sleeper that has more advance controls. I'm not sure about anything for OS X. Are you just trying to save the drive from wear and tear?
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Making Internal HD stay off when using External FW drive Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:
I now have my mini running off of an external firewire drive and was wondering how i can get my internal drive to not spin up at all.. or just turn off after a few minutes of non use... I know where to find the option to spin down all the hard drives but is it possible to select which one you want to spin down and after how long?

Thanks!

The latest issue of Mac World had a small article on how the Developer tools had an extra tool to make the sleep times different on each drive. I am at work right now but if needed I can get the exact tool name later. I am also going to be adding this to my guide soon.

Edit: I did find this info on the web
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Internal HD stay off when using External FW drive Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
The latest issue of Mac World had a small article on how the Developer tools had an extra tool to make the sleep times different on each drive. I am at work right now but if needed I can get the exact tool name later. I am also going to be adding this to my guide soon.

Good find. I'm going to see if that won't work for my miniMate. It spins up all the time.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Internal HD stay off when using External FW drive Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
homerjatmoes wrote:

Good find. I'm going to see if that won't work for my miniMate. It spins up all the time.

Did you clone the install from the internal drive to the minimate? I recently have found that this will keep my external drive up because it may still be looking for some files on the internal drive. It sleeps fine if there is a copy of the OS on the mini's internal drive, but as soon as I blanked the internal drive the mini would read from the external every 30 seconds or so.

I fixed it by cloning back to the internal drive, installing a fresh copy of OS X on the external drive and transfering my user settings and applications when the fresh copy boots. I blanked my internal drive and my external drive now sleeps peacfully.

I am going to add this to my guide soon.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Internal HD stay off when using External FW drive Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:

DId you clone the install from the internal drive to the minimate? I recently have found that this will keep my external drive up because it may still be looking for some files on the internal drive. It sleeps fine if there is a copy of the OS on the mini's internal drive, but as soon as I blanked the internal drive the mini would read from the external every 30 seconds or so.

That sounds like an interesting theory. I cloned my mini with SuperDuper a few months ago and was using the miniMate as the boot drive. I gave up on it because it was too loud. I may give it another try. Right now, I'm mostly using the miniMate as a backup. Thanks for the tip.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Internal HD stay off when using External FW drive Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
I fixed it by cloning back to the internal drive, installing a fresh copy of OS X on the external drive and transfering my user settings and applications when the fresh copy boots. I blanked my internal drive and my external drive now sleeps peacfully.

Could you please elaborate a bit about this process? Specifically, what do you mean by "transferring user settings and applications"? I'm going to set up my external boot drive this weekend/Monday using your guide. I guess I'm asking for a sneak peek for the update Laughing

Or I can just be patient and wait for the new guide. Feel free to tell me that Wink
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Internal HD stay off when using External FW drive Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
homerjatmoes wrote:

Could you please elaborate a bit about this process? Specifically, what do you mean by "transferring user settings and applications"? I'm going to set up my external boot drive this weekend/Monday using your guide. I guess I'm asking for a sneak peek for the update Laughing

Or I can just be patient and wait for the new guide. Feel free to tell me that Wink

I'll get the info for you when I get home. I need to run through the process again and take notes. The basics are to insert the OS X DVD and click on install and let the mini reboot. When the install begins just select the external drive as the target. There is a custom install button where you can choose to install iLife, X11, and other apps at the time of the install.

When the mini re-boots it will ask if you want to import settings user files and apps. Check of all that you want to transfer and depending (I do all but the system files). Depending on how many apps and the number and size of files this can take a while.

When done you will need to update OS X.

Hope this helps.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: 100 vs 133 Reply with quote

I finally received the hard drive to put in my new external FireWire case. But the one they sent is an ATA-100 drive. Am I going to get an overall speed decrease because it's not ATA-133?
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 100 vs 133 Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
I finally received the hard drive to put in my new external FireWire case. But the one they sent is an ATA-100 drive. Am I going to get an overall speed decrease because it's not ATA-133?

That is the burst speed rating not the sustained speed. You will not see a difference.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

That was fast Smile

And the right answer to boot! I really didn't want to have to deal with RMAs etc., as in the end it's my fault for ordering the one I did. I'll probably just hook up the drive tonight, and make it bootable over the weekend.

I'll report back on how the installation goes.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Making Internal HD stay off when using External FW drive Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:

Thanks!

Cocktail has the ability to set drive spindown times.

Get Cocktail Here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: