123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simply connecting two Macs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Simply connecting two Macs Reply with quote

I'm planning to connect my Mini to my MacBook as I want to try ScreenRecycler. I've got a 10Mbps ethernet hub and some Cat 5 cables, but I think I can do better than this when both machines have gigabit ethernet (I think Confused ).

So is a Cat 6 cross-over patch cable the way to go?

If I want to keep the Mini connected to my DSL modem, I suppose I'll either have to buy a 10/100/1000Mbps hub/switch or connect it to the Mini using its USB socket...
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google has been my friend. I've found a pretty good article on networking a couple of Macs together right here:
http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/hands_on_mac_connecting_two_macs_via_a_simple_ethernet_network/

I think I've also found a suitable Cat 6 crossover patch cable here:
http://www.lindy.co.uk/network-cable-crossover-cat6-utp-grey-2m/44943.html
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need crossover cables. You can use standard ethernet cables, as modern Macs will auto-crossover as needed.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk posted a correction to one of my posts recently where I had suggested a crossover cable to link two Macs, he pointed out that a standard patch cable would also work, no need for the cross over as the Macs would sort it out. I'll see if I can find his post.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S

Last edited by Cypher on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted ClunkClunk has already replied, Cool we posted at the same time..

Here's the other post anyway.

PC to Mac chit-chat

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clunk, Cypher, thanks for the replies.

I've investigated my 'large horde' of networking gear only to discover that it looks rather pitiful. Still, there's a Cat 5 cable connecting my Mini to the DSL modem that I can borrow for experimental purposes.

How does a Mac 'know' which category of cable is being used? Will the Mini and MacBook just try to communicate as fast as the cable allows?
Sipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Clunk, Cypher, thanks for the replies.

I've investigated my 'large horde' of networking gear only to discover that it looks rather pitiful. Still, there's a Cat 5 cable connecting my Mini to the DSL modem that I can borrow for experimental purposes.

How does a Mac 'know' which category of cable is being used? Will the Mini and MacBook just try to communicate as fast as the cable allows?

And just to throw a spanner in the works

Cat 5 cable is good for 100Mb
Cat 5e cable is good for 1000 Mb
cat 6 cable is good for 1000Mb

To answer your question, I don't reckon the Macs will know which cable you are using, but will communicate as fast as they can.

S
Lacie 320Gb for Time Machine
AppleTV with aTVFlash
17" iMac C2D ( for 'er indoors)

JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sipper.

Yes, I couldn't imagine a way for a Mac to identify which cable it's connected with, other than just starting slowly and stepping up the data rate until it hits a limit.
Mr.187

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried Screenrecycler on my XP Laptop, works a Treat as a remote 2nd monitor, running throught wireless too.

Had: Core Duo Mac Mini, 30GB Video iPod,ATV and the Apple Hi-Fi.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.187 wrote:
Just tried Screenrecycler on my XP Laptop, works a Treat as a remote 2nd monitor, running throught wireless too.

Nice one, Mr. 187! You've whetted my appetite now, this is definitely going to be my 'Saturday afternoon' project...

...well, it is unless the televised coverage of the Euro 2008 football becomes too tempting! Laughing
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I gave it a try! I downloaded the trial software, installed ScreenRecycler on the Mini and JollysGoodVNC on the MacBook, connected the two using a Cat 5 patch cable... but couldn't get them to work together.

Fired up Network Utility on both machines, and it became apparent quite quickly that the Mini's firewall was holding up the proceedings. Switched off the firewall, tried again and - 'Ta-da!' - it worked. Using the Mini's mouse to move windows around the MacBook screen made them blur with a kind of "mpeg blockiness" as they were in motion, but once any window was still, it was fine. I suspect that the bandwidth of the Cat 5 cable might be to blame here, and that using a Cat 6 cable would reduce this motion blur.

I also connected the MacBook to my new 20 inch Iiyama. Whereas the Mini connects using a DVI cable, the adapter that I've bought for the MacBook is Mini-DVI to VGA, so the trial with the notebook had to use the Iiyama's D-Sub socket. It worked - even at 1600x1200 - but I could detect a slight drop in picture quality. The sharp edges that I was used to had become softened.

So now I know! If I want to buy a second 20-inch display to extend my desktop to 3200x1200, I pretty much have everything else that I need to make it happen. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: