123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did the 20" iMac screen issue ever get fixed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garrett222

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Did the 20" iMac screen issue ever get fixed? Reply with quote

I've been reading threads in here about problems with the colors or something on the 20" iMacs. I wanted to buy one, but wasn't sure if the problem still existed or not.

Help! i want one this weekend. I looked at mini's, but...

Mini - 2Ghz, 2 GB ram, $799 + key/mouse = $999 approx
Monitor 22" dell = $349 So the total was aroun $1350

iMac - 2.4 ghz with a 4GB ram and dedicated video = $1499.

Anyway...so is the 20" iMac still damaged goods????
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they have replaced the panels in the 20" models. I bought one back in Aug07 when the aluminium model was launched. My main issue is with the reflections in the glossy screen, the other problems aren't too big a deal for me. I normally sit directly in front of my screen so the poor viewing angles aren't a problem, mine does suffer slightly from slightly lighter washed out colours at the bottom of the screen, but if I hadn't read about the problem before hand I'm not sure I would have spotted it.

The new mini may well be launched next week at WWDC so it may be worth holding off for another week before making your decision.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that the 20" iMac was ever 'damaged goods', it was more of a comparison between the screen on the previous 20" iMac (the white ones), and the screen on the aluminum ones. Apparently Apple changed manufacturers, and the screen is of slightly lesser quality. Frankly, I wouldn't have noticed it unless I was able to see them side by side. I think Apple went with a slightly less expensive screen so they could produce an iMac at $1199 with a 20" screen, where previously the 20" iMacs started at $1499.

Also, to not throw a wrench in anyone's system, but if you compare the MacBook screen to a MacBook Pro screen, you'll see a quality difference as well. Viewing angles on the MB are significantly less than the MBP.

I'd suggest seeing in person before making any decisions. What might bother another user, might be unnoticeable to you.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked with one and didn't notice the quality of the unit until I watched some reviews and demo's. I went back to the unit and verified what I saw in the review as to the lesser build quality and perceptible visual flaws. If you need a color correct monitor then the newer 20" iMac is not for you. Other wise it is a beautiful machine.
Excommie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a beautiful, awesome display. I was reluctant to buy it after reading online reviews, but I have absolutely no problems. My wife is more "color aware" than I am, and she loves the display too. We do watch DVD's on it, look at photos, I edit home videos.

Buy one, if you really don't like it - take it back.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work with color the Matte screen is better, I was looking at the new iMacs when a "genius" asked if i worked with color. I told him my wife is a graphic designer he said "its not the best choice" Many people had returned them!

They have great features & are priced well, but not a good choice for my wife Sad
miniconvert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20" iMac uses a TN based panel where as the 24" is using IPS. The difference in quality is striking when they are sitting side by side. The 24" iMac produces more vivid colors and better contrast. You could probably calibrate a lot of the differences out but you could never fix the viewing angle difference.

Like I said, you probably can't tell the difference if they apart. A lot of mini users buy TN based panels and are quite happy. If you own a 22" widescreen for example there is a 99.99% chance you have a TN based panel.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When working with colors the lighting in the room will have a major affect on the color. Thats why Apples cinema displays are "antiglare hardcoat" which is matte.

Thats a big help for professional photographers who have to touch up photos/flesh tones, and Pantone cant help them. The glossy screen can look good with movies, but still produce glare, even indoors with natural sunlight.

Most Professionals will use a ViewSonic or LaCie display before a glossy one. JMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: