123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File/Folder permissions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleekj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: File/Folder permissions Reply with quote

How do I set permissions (ala NTFS in windows) so that only certian accounts (or groups if I can make new groups) have acces to certian folders. I turned on file vault but I do not really care about my home folders as I will not be keeping "private" information there.

if I get info on a folder and look at owner it lists my account (rw) with my account in group (rw) and thers with no access but if I logon with an another account it has access also............??

thank you
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: File/Folder permissions Reply with quote

cleekj wrote:
How do I set permissions (ala NTFS in windows) so that only certian accounts (or groups if I can make new groups) have acces to certian folders. I turned on file vault but I do not really care about my home folders as I will not be keeping "private" information there.

if I get info on a folder and look at owner it lists my account (rw) with my account in group (rw) and thers with no access but if I logon with an another account it has access also............??

thank you

Are both users in the same group? You should create a new group (don't use a system created one) and only add your account to it. Also make sure the other users are not at the Admin level.

You should run the repair permissions with the Disk Utility app to make sure everything is set properly. Check page 8 of the guide in my sig for instructions.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: