123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Nano won't play purchased audiobook

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: My Nano won't play purchased audiobook Reply with quote

I've just bought a 2nd gen iPod Nano from eBay. When I received it this morning, it was 'Windows formatted' so I plugged it into the Mini to be restored to factory settings and to get a good battery charge.

I then copied all of my audiobooks across to it. Now, most of my audiobook titles were bought on CD or cassette tape and have been ripped by me to iTunes. Others are really just sample chapters that I've downloaded for free from the net and converted to iTunes audiobook format. I've played some of these ripped or converted files on the Nano, and those that I've tried appear to work fine.

This is where things get a bit strange. I have one 'Audible.com' title that I bought from the iTunes store (the quality was poor, so I didn't buy any more) and I've listened to that without problem many times on my iPod Shuffle.

However, I've copied this audiobook onto the Nano, and it simply won't play. When I highlight the track and select it, there's a very brief pause before the Nano jumps to the track after the purchased track. So I press the left button on the clickwheel (previous track), and the screen displays the artwork and title info for the bought track for a fraction of a second before either jumping to the track before it or back to the one after it.

I'm sure that there's some very simple explanation for this one, but I'm darned if I know what it is. My only guess is that the track has somehow been 'assigned' to the Shuffle, and won't play on any other iPod.

Anyone know what's going on here?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I'm not the only one....
http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-36632.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-124989.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155295

And here's Apple's "helpful" support article on this very subject....
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1325

I think the only way around this is to either convert the audiobook to another format and then back to M4B, or export it to audio CD and rip it back into iTunes.

So far I've been quite ambivalent about DRM, but now I see it as a first-rate PITA.
will94

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh... just reset the Pod. This kinda stuff happens to my iTouch all the time. It never does anything bad. Try erase and sync again.
Salesman: Hi, welcome to Microsoft Windows [punches customer]
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will94 wrote:
Uhh... just reset the Pod. This kinda stuff happens to my iTouch all the time. It never does anything bad. Try erase and sync again.

When you say 'reset the iPod', do you mean restore the factory settings? Are they the same thing?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will94 wrote:

Okay, fully restored the iPod which wiped everything, and fully re-synced. Still won't play the purchased audiobook, iPod insists on skipping to the next track and playing that. Grrrrrr!!! Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: